Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ribbon appearance

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
dominiek_vanwest
3544 Views, 17 Replies

Ribbon appearance

Hi,

The Replace function is not directly accessible on the Ribbon, you need to click on Component first, then you can click on Replace (see attachment).

Why is this changed (not sure if it has been like this in IV2014 as we switched from IV2013 to IV2015) and is there a way that I can set up my own Ribbon? As for now the Ribbon uses only like 60-70% of my screen width, so there is plenty of room left to make more buttons directly accessible.

Thanks in advance,

Dominiek

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
admaiora
in reply to: dominiek_vanwest

Hi Dominkien,

yes, there are some changes in the ribbon in the last releases.

You can customize ribbon adding your custom panel user commands, you can recall with alias shortcuts your more used command ,  you can add commands in the contestual menu/marking menu with right click.

Just Tools>Customize

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 18
dominiek_vanwest
in reply to: admaiora

Yes, I know that's possible, but then the button's are located under Custom Commands and for example for Replace, not under Component.

Then it's almost better to hide all the panels, and make a large Custom Commands panel with all the necessary buttons....

I think it should be possible to expand a panel, that should be very easy for Autodesk to implement, right?

Message 4 of 18

No big deal. Simply right-click to a ribbon icon.

You can change:

- Icon size

- With or without text

- Ungroup from dropdown menu

- Move to main toolbar

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 5 of 18

Thanky you Walter! That's what I needed.

Message 6 of 18

Well, it was what I needed, but every time I start Inventor, it's back to the previous configuration, so I need to do this every time I start Inventor.

Can I do something so I don't need to do this every time anymore?

Thanks in advance,

Dominiek

Message 7 of 18
-niels-

If Inventor is closed properly (no crash) then it should remember the settings.
It might have something to do with user rights, are you an administrator on your system?
Maybe try running as admin (right-click the inventor icon and select from the sub-menu), make your changes and close down inventor...

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 8 of 18
dominiek_vanwest
in reply to: -niels-

I have admin rights.

I just tried with running as admin, made my changes, closed Inventor, restarted running as admin, but they are gone again 😞

Anything else I can try?

Message 9 of 18
-niels-

I've searched the forums a bit and there seem to be topics about this going back to the first version with the ribbon.
None seemed to have a solution though 😞

All i can think of is that it might not be writing the settings to the registry properly, but if you have admin rights i can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be able to write to the registry...

Is UAC turned off? Antivirus?

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 10 of 18
dominiek_vanwest

UAC is turned off.

I have Panda Endpoint Protection but I'm not able to turn it off.

Message 11 of 18
-niels-

Running out of ideas then...
If you're comfortable with it, check your permissions for the inventor registry key with Regedit.
(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor)

Though i'll expect it to be on full permission...

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 12 of 18
dominiek_vanwest

yep, it's on full permission

Message 13 of 18
SBix26

Ribbon customizations are not stored in the registry.  On my computer (Win 7), they are stored in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Inventor 2015\InventorCustomization.xml.  Since this is under your user profile, it's not at all obvious why Inventor is not able to write to that file, but that's where you need to check.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Inventor Professional 2015 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Message 14 of 18
-niels-

Well, then it's going to be a tedious task finding a solution...
Seeing as older topics also never got it resolved, i can only give you some suggestions on things to try.
These will probably take a lot of time and aren't a guarantee on fixing it.

Anyway:
1. try creating a new user profile and see if the ribbon customization sticks on that.
2. uninstall the antivirus and see if that helps.
3. if that doesn't, reinstall inventor without anti-virus (and UAC off, ofcourse.)
4. last resort; completely reinstall your system.

#4 isn't worth it though, i'd open a support ticket with autodesk if #3 doesn't resolve the problem and see if they can help.

---edit---

@SBix26 I didn't know about that, nice one!

Let's just hope it has something to do with that then, you'd think having admin rights would let you write to such a basic location...

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 15 of 18
dominiek_vanwest
in reply to: SBix26

I looked at that file, Sam, and it is saved every time I close Inventor. So it is accessible.

I looked through that file and see the following info:

<Ribbon>

<InvRibbonUICustomizationInventorLangID="2067"InventorVersion="19.0"OSVersion="Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1"RevID="2">

<RibbonStates>

<RibbonRibbonID="Assembly">

<RibbonControlMinimizeMode="None"MinimizeRule="CycleThroughAll"ShowPanelTitleInHorizontalRibbon="True"ShowPanelTitleInVerticalRibbon="True">

<Tabs>

<TabCookie="Tab=id_TabAssemble"IsActive="True"IsVisible="True">

<PanelCookie="Panel=id_PanelA_AssembleComponent"FloatingGroup="0"FloatingLocationX="0"FloatingLocationY="0"FloatingOrder="0"FloatingOrientation="Vertical"IsFloating="False"IsVisible="True"/>

Scrolling a bit further down I see:

<Ribbon>

<InvRibbonUICustomizationInventorLangID="2067"InventorVersion="19.0"OSVersion="Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1"RevID="2">

<InvExpandedFlyouts>

<RibbonRibbonID="Part"/>

<RibbonRibbonID="Assembly"/>

<RibbonRibbonID="Drawing"/>

<RibbonRibbonID="Presentation"/>

<RibbonRibbonID="iFeatures"/>

<RibbonRibbonID="UnknownDocument"/>

<RibbonRibbonID="ZeroDoc"/>

</InvExpandedFlyouts>

I think I need to see something here. Can anyone try to move a button from the expanded panel to the main panel (and close Inventor) and search where it is mentioned in this file?

Thanks in advance.

PS: to Niels, I'll wait a bit with your options as they take a lot of time 🙂 Maybe I can manually adjust that file.

Message 16 of 18
SBix26

In mine, I have a number of entries under InvSlideout (see image below from XMLNotepad), which I believe correspond to items I have moved from dropdown panels to the main group.

Customization.png

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Inventor Professional 2015 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Message 17 of 18
WHolzwarth

Hmm. My customization settings are stored in a different place:

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Inventor 2015\Preferences

They are stored this way:

Tools -> Customize -> Export -> Choose Filename

My settings are not lost with a re-start. If lost after restart, they can be brought back again:

Tools -> Customize -> Import -> Same Filename as above.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 18 of 18
dominiek_vanwest

I tried that Sam, but can't be sure about the correct inputs. I tried the following:

<InvSlideoutRibbonID="Assembly">

<InvMovedItemSourcePanelID="id_PanelA_AssembleComponent"SourceTabID="id_TabAssemble">AssemblyReplaceCmd</InvMovedItem>

But that didn't help.

Like I say, I'm not sure about the inputs, if they are correct:

- id_PanelA_AssembleComponent

- id_TabAssemble

- AssemblyReplaceCmd

- -

They strange thing is, I moved the following items (in Inventor), and they are still there (so some work, others (Replace, ...) not....):

<InvMovedItemSourcePanelID="id_PanelA_DesignFrame"SourceTabID="id_TabDesign">AFG_ProfileInfo</InvMovedItem>

<InvMovedItemSourcePanelID="id_PanelA_DesignFrame"SourceTabID="id_TabDesign">AFG_RebuildProfile</InvMovedItem>

<InvMovedItemSourcePanelID="id_PanelA_DesignFrame"SourceTabID="id_TabDesign">AFG_CMD_Refresh</InvMovedItem>

<InvMovedItemSourcePanelID="id_PanelA_DesignFrame"SourceTabID="id_TabDesign">FDBeamPlateSplit</InvMovedItem>

<InvMovedItemSourcePanelID="id_PanelA_2DSketchFormat"SourceTabID="id_TabSketch">SketchLineTypeProperty</InvMovedItem>

<InvMovedItemSourcePanelID="id_PanelA_2DSketchFormat"SourceTabID="id_TabSketch">SketchLineColorProperty</InvMovedItem>

<InvMovedItemSourcePanelID="id_PanelA_2DSketchFormat"SourceTabID="id_TabSketch">SketchLineWeightProperty</InvMovedItem>

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report