Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

revolve cut

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Terry__Close
1918 Views, 7 Replies

revolve cut

Hello

The attached file has a cylinder with a revolve cut.The revolve cut from the method i have used cuts each blade but creates  varying blade lengths.The line closest to the end of the cylinder produces all the cuts in a even line but the cuts on top of the blade produces uneven cuts which causes a 5mm difference in length between the outside blade compared to the middle blade.How would i best create the blades with the cuts but all even in length

Thanks

Terry

INV 2012

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: Terry__Close

@Terry__Close wrote:

Hello

...but creates  varying blade lengths.

The blades vary in length (or should I say height) to begin with?

Maybe the attached will give you some insight.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8
Terry__Close
in reply to: JDMather

JD thanks.....i created the blades with varying heights(i did see that).I`m just not sure how to get the blades all the same length after the cut.Would there be a way to get the blades all the same length (+ using varying heights).Is it possible to achieve?

Thanks

Terry

INV 2012 

Message 4 of 8
MikahB

Terry - the issue you're seeing is because the axis you're using for your cut (axis of the cylinder) is not the same axis that the tops of the blades are formed from.  If you add, in Sketch4 a circle with 3 points coincident to the tops of the center and end blades, the center point of the circle that's created can locate an axis that will give you what you're after.  See attached.

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 5 of 8
Terry__Close
in reply to: MikahB

Hi Mikah...thank you

The question now is can all the cuts touch the cylinder.The middle blade is the only blade after the cut touching the cylinder.Maybe i need to do them individually as each cut will be a different angle so as to keep the blades the same length .

Thanks again

Terry

Message 6 of 8
MikahB

You'll have to figure out exactly what you want, but sure - you can do whatever.  If you want them all to be the same length on the top face, with different heights (as JD pointed out), AND have all the cuts reach the cylinder face, then you'll need a different cut angle on each one.  That's entirely do-able, but not with a revolve cut.

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 7 of 8
JDMather

I didn't take the time to look at the other posts - but once you know what you really want, the geometry should be trivially simple to create. I recommend that you keep in mind Design for Manufacturability though.

Attached is another example (I'll let you finish).  Tip: on a symmetrical part do half and then mirror.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 8
Terry__Close
in reply to: JDMather

JD...thanks

Your solution is exactly what i was looking for..

Thanks

Terry

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report