Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revolution of a solid or a surface

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
rmerlob
2507 Views, 9 Replies

Revolution of a solid or a surface

Hi guys, I have a bit of a mind bender here,

I need to get a solid (or a set of surfaces) with the shape of the volume generated by taking RevolutionSrf1 and revolving it around Y axis, any way to get that?

It should look like the circular patternI have supressed there.

Regards,

RM

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: rmerlob

I am confused here.

Why didn't you simple Revolve as a solid before the Circular Pattern.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
rmerlob
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the response,

The problem is that the circular pattern number would have to equal ´´infinity´´ to get the shape I want, the pattern can only aproximate it.

RM

Message 4 of 10
JDMather

An infinite number of "ribs" would result in a smooth surface.

If you are after a smooth surface, I don't understand your technique as you don't need these patterned cylinders.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 10
rmerlob

The pattern was just to help ilustrate what I want, imagine the revolved cilinder is a solid bar, what I want modeled is the space that would have to be free so it can rotate around Y axis.

If the bar were perpendicular to the axis then it could be a simple sketch and revolution but since it is slanted in 2 diferent planes it gets trickier.

Message 6 of 10
WHolzwarth

Here's probably a workaround for doing tasks like that.

Smiley Wink But I think, it could be easier.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
JDMather

What is the manufacturing tolerance?

Here is my quick eyeball attempt.

Message 8 of 10
rdyson

Here's mine. (Sorry, only have 2015)

Took a bit of trial and error, but it looks close.

Capture.PNG

PDSU 2016
Message 9 of 10
rmerlob
in reply to: rdyson

Thanks for your responses, seems that eyeballing and creating the sketch in a single plane and adjusting is the only way to go.

I haven´t tried it yet but I think alias should be able to revolve a line that is not perpendicular to an axis and create a surface.

Your examples are suficient for my application, thanks.

Regards,

RM

Message 10 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! Revolving a volume is actually a special case of volumetric sweep. Unfortunately, Inventor is not yet able to generate volumetric sweep. However, there is a case-specific workaround you can consider. Take a look at attached file. Basically, The key is to get the equivalent 2D profile. I used Silhouette Curve to find the profile. Fortunately, the curves lies on a plane. Then just project the curves to a 2D sketch and add two lines top and bottom to form a closed profile. Next, simply sweep around a circle.

I believe this should be the simplest and closest solution to volumetric sweep. Please note the same technique can be used in other geometry but it will only work if the silhouette curve is on a plane, not a 3D curve.

Let me know if you have any question. Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report