Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revision Table for old drawings

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
dan_inv09
628 Views, 12 Replies

Revision Table for old drawings

I am redrawing an old drawing in Inventor. (This particular one is very new compared to some of the ones I need to do, it was started in 1979.)

If I "Insert Row" within the revision table dialog I have to manually type in the rev number.

And then if I do a "Add Revision Row" it will give the next number from the last "Add Revision Row".

This "redrawn" revision is going to be number 10, what is the proper workflow for putting all these revisions on a new drawing?

(I also have some drawings that are 10 or 15 years older that are what I will call "more active" that I will be converting along with this one.)

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
dan_inv09
in reply to: dan_inv09

It also keeps the tally separate from the iProperties, I thought if I changed it there then I would be able to add rows within the table, but the next "Add Revision Row" indexed from the last "Add Revision Row" not the number in the iProperties.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

Are you entering all the previous revisions and descriptions?

Sounds like what you described should be fine, just insert your revision table rows and type in the description and date.

The only row that will update from the iProperties is the last one added.

Message 4 of 13

Hi dan_inv09,

It seems to work the way you want if you're placing a new rev table

Autodesk Inventor Revision Table.png

You might need to delete your existing rev table and place another and ensure the start number is what you want.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 13
dan_inv09
in reply to: Anonymous

It doesn't appear to me to be updating from the iProperties, it updates from the last "Add Revision Row"

Message 6 of 13

I would really rather not throw away all the history, but I kind of figured that would have to be the AutoDesk approved workflow.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

The last row added will pull in whatever is in Comments field in Summary tab, the revision date will pull from Eng. Approved Date from Status tab in iProperties.

Message 8 of 13
dan_inv09

I meant the revision number. When I changed the revision number in the iProperties then did a "Add Revision Row" it did not index from that number.

And I never really understood that: so you click "Add Revision Row" and it brings up the revision table dialog - then you have to close that out without doing anything and go to iProperties to do the editing?

Message 9 of 13

@dan_inv09 wrote:

And I never really understood that: so you click "Add Revision Row" and it brings up the revision table dialog - then you have to close that out without doing anything and go to iProperties to do the editing?

Hi dan_inv09,

There's an iProperties button in the Revision Table edit dialog that will open the iProperties dialog and allow you to manually enter the iProperty. The Rev# from the iProperty is then pulled into the current row.

Here I've used the button to step into the iProperties dialog and change the next row from 2 to 3, and it's pulled into the table.

Autodesk Inventor Revision Table2.png

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 10 of 13

See, this is why you ask questions. I never noticed those there - when were they added?

As far as changing the rev level in the iProperties, when you "Add Revision Row" or "Add Revision Row(s)" does it go to 4? I think you will find that it will give you a 3.

("Add Revision Row(s)" gave me a little false hope with the "(s)". Doesn't that make you think it would let you do more than one at a time?)

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

You can click the add revision row(s) icon multiple times, it will give you a new row and a new revision number.

Message 12 of 13

Hi dan_inv09,

@dan_inv09 wrote:

... when were they added?

Inventor version 11 or Inventor 2008 maybe? Smiley Wink

edit: it looks like it was Inventor 2008

Jamie keeps all of the what's new here: http://inventortopix.blogspot.com/p/whats-new-docs.html

@dan_inv09 wrote:

As far as changing the rev level in the iProperties, when you "Add Revision Row" or "Add Revision Row(s)" does it go to 4? I think you will find that it will give you a 3.

Indeed it will increment off of an internally stored number that we can't access, so you're correct it would go to 3 again.

@dan_inv09 wrote:

("Add Revision Row(s)" gave me a little false hope with the "(s)". Doesn't that make you think it would let you do more than one at a time?)

You can add multiple rows using Add Revision Row(s) the button in the dialog, by clicking it multiple times.

Then you could select the intermediate rows and right-click, and then choose Visible in order to toggle off their visibility:

Autodesk Inventor Revision Table3.png

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 13 of 13
dan_inv09

I was exiting the dialog and right clicking, I honestly must have had like a blind spot or something. I did not see those and/or was absolutely certain they were not what I was looking for when I was trying to figure out a better way to do what I was doing.

I think "(s)" implies that you can do many with one click - you don't need it to say that you are allowed to click it again, do you?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report