Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revision of Drawing file (*.idw)

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
jyothissurendran
1455 Views, 12 Replies

Revision of Drawing file (*.idw)

Hi - I have created an assembly by constrain number of part files and generated a drawing file as rev  A. Now i have to create a new revsion for the same drawing but some of the assembly components has to be updated. The problem is if i update the ipt file which i used for the assembly it will update Rev A idw file also. i dont want that to happen.

i tried one option, copied the assembly file and renamed to rev B. but again the assembly component part files will remain same. In this case the only option available is copy individual components and replace with the existing components or any other simple options are available ?  any option available to break the link ?

My main assembly file contains some sub assemblies also.Those are generated by using frame  generator option. 

Please help... its very urgent...

Jyothis Surendran
Autodesk Autocad 2014 & Inventor Professional Suite 2010
Windows 10
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Without vault...  You would have to copy a new model structure for each revision based on your description of your workflow...  

However I have a question...   Is there a reason why revision B of the drawing/model  can not reside on the same drawing as revision "A"?

Message 3 of 13

Without vault...  You would have to copy a new model structure for each revision based on your description of your workflow...  

No am not using vault..  copy model structure means ?

However I have a question...   Is there a reason why revision B of the drawing/model  can not reside on the same drawing as revision "A"?

No... Rev A is already submitted.. So If i again  re submit with same rev it may be confused.. i mean the drawing will not match (future ref.)

Jyothis Surendran
Windows 10
Message 4 of 13
fakeru
in reply to: jyothissurendran

I would make a copy of .idw rev. A and name it rev.B. Before making changes to parts, open .idw rev.A and enable defer update from Document Settings. Then make your changes, rev.B will update, rev.A not.

Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional
Message 5 of 13

I was going to suggest saving Rev A as an AutoCAD dwg. that way it won’t be linked to your model anymore.  fakeru idea would also work. 

Hope this helps

Message 6 of 13
Message 7 of 13
jyothissurendran
in reply to: fakeru

This is what i need... Thanks.

When i enable defer updates i can see a variation in resolution of the shaded view. any solution avilable ?

Jyothis Surendran
Windows 10
Message 8 of 13
fakeru

Can you post a screenshot?

Message 9 of 13
jyothissurendran

Please see the attached screenshots. I have named the files as "Befoe & After_Defer updates"

Jyothis Surendran
Windows 10
Message 10 of 13
fakeru

Check the Bitmap Resolution in the Document Settings, under Drawing tab. Choose the biggest value.

Update: Checked myself with a defer update drawing and unfortunately the option is greyed out and you can not change it. Before making the drawing defer update you have to choose the best resolution and then make it defer update. Now if you disable defer update, your drawing will update to rev.B and that's not good. If you have a backup of your assembly and part files together with idw file then you are ok.

Message 11 of 13
jyothissurendran

@fakeru wrote:

Check the Bitmap Resolution in the Document Settings, under Drawing tab. Choose the biggest value.

Update: Checked myself with a defer update drawing and unfortunately the option is greyed out and you can not change it. Before making the drawing defer update you have to choose the best resolution and then make it defer update. Now if you disable defer update, your drawing will update to rev.B and that's not good. If you have a backup of your assembly and part files together with idw file then you are ok.

Thanks for your reply.....

I have given the max resolution 300 DPI. But still the result is same...see the attachment

Jyothis Surendran
Windows 10
Message 12 of 13
fakeru

That's strange... Make it 50dpi and see if it will change, then make it 300dpi again.. That's the only suggestion I give.

Or may be you can attach the idw together with the iam and ipt files and I will try it.

Message 13 of 13
jyothissurendran

@fakeru wrote:

That's strange... Make it 50dpi and see if it will change, then make it 300dpi again.. That's the only suggestion I give.

Or may be you can attach the idw together with the iam and ipt files and I will try it.

yes... I tried both 50 dpi  and 300dpi but remains same..

Actually its a big assembly file having lot of part files . So if send the idw i should attach all, then the file size will be bit  big..

I willl try some R&D..... and let u know if i get a +ve result .

Thanks for your support... it was so helpful ..

Jyothis Surendran
Windows 10

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report