Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revision cloud add in...seriously?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
jyager
4327 Views, 11 Replies

Revision cloud add in...seriously?

This thing is terrible...what if you need to put a cloud around a BOM item on your parts list, this thing wipes out like three lines of the list.

Isn't there some method similar to the AutoCAD one where you can convert a line group (polyline) into a cloud? Doesn't anyone revise inventor drawings?

Jason Yager
Inventor Professional 2023.2
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 3200 Series
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Pro
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
cbenner
in reply to: jyager

Wow... tell us how you really feel.  How about an example?  Screen shot or something.  Is there a question here about how to set this thing up, or just stating that you don't like it?

Message 3 of 12
jyager
in reply to: cbenner

Not trying to come off like a jerk...but for as intuitive as Inventor is with almost everything...basic items like revision clouds and having CoG symbols being the actual symbol (like it's even shown on the Inventor toolbar....) instead of crosshairs, seem like they should be part of the core .idw functionality.

In ACAD you could convert a polyline into a revision cloud, you could set the arc size to be one consistent arc, vs. having to map out a spline with several different arc sizes.

This is ideal for tight spots where you can easily and quickly lay out a polyline, or even a rectangle if you're looking to cover a BOM item or something in a narrow space. It's a couple of clicks...it takes no thought and you move on to more important issues than drawing revision clouds. A rev cloud shouldn't take more than 5 seconds to acomplish.

Jason Yager
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
32GB RAM
Message 4 of 12
PaulMunford

He's right. In fact I open my Inventor drawings in AutoCAD to do revision clouds (for shame).

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 5 of 12
jyager

When you do that ( I tried it with a quick cloud but didn't get a chance to mess with it much yet) you dont lose any of the functionality when you go back to Inventor? That seems like that's the best solution to the problem.

What are those objects then in the Inventor drawing after you open it back up in Inventor...I was able to delete the cloud...but is it just some generic sketch object?

Jason Yager
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
32GB RAM
Message 6 of 12
yannick3

Hi

Maybe i misunderstood but with revision cloud feature (in SDK folder) you can add revision cloud on part list

revision cloud part list.JPG

Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
Win 7 pro, core i7 950, asus P6T WS
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Message 7 of 12
jyager

Yes, Yannick, thanks...the problem is that cloud is pretty unruly...what if you were in the middle of a huge parts list? Now you'd have cloud geometry crossing over words. I'm sure you just whipped that up quickly for an example, but the point is it takes way too much effort to make it neat and clean in close quarters with it's current functionality.

It's a very basic tool in AutoCAD, I can't see why Inventor would be in it's shadow with something like that.

Jason Yager
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
32GB RAM
Message 8 of 12
yannick3

Hi

I understand your need that's simple and autocad can't do that, maybe, RMB when the feature is active, revision cloud option and adjust the curves parameter

revision cloud option.JPG 

Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
Win 7 pro, core i7 950, asus P6T WS
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Message 9 of 12
jyager
in reply to: yannick3

That is a HUGE step...not perfect, and still a little cumbersome...but it cleans the arcs up a lot. Thank you!

I tried right clicking before and didn't see any type of menu...I must have been out of the command...thanks again.

Jason Yager
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
32GB RAM
Message 10 of 12
carstn

Hi Yannick

Old post i Know, but anyway...

Can you set the rev cloud to red by default? (mine is black)

And how about line weight? Anyway to set a higher default value?

/carstn

Message 11 of 12
cfairfowl
in reply to: PaulMunford

Hi, I do that too if it's a dwg file but you can't open idw files with AutoCAD.

I can see absolutely no good excuse for not having the equivalent rev cloud feature in Inventor.

I have another fix, use the snipping tool to copy the idw screen view of the drawing and paste it into an Autocad drawing, scale it to suit the Inventor drawing frame size then use the AutoCad rev cloud tool to create rev clouds.

Then copy and paste these clouds into a 1:1 scale sketch in the Inventor drawing - I know..... it's long winded and a real pain but when you need small neat shaped rev clouds it works well.

Message 12 of 12
cfairfowl

Hi, Right-clicking brings up the dialog and I change it to 5 and 5 for the arc size but it doesn't lock, it reverts to 8 and 15. is there something else I need to do?

Thanks  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report