Inventor General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 1 of 3 (464 Views)
Accepted Solution

Reversing Weld Assembly??

464 Views, 2 Replies
04-06-2012 07:16 AM

I have an assembly that I thought in the beginning of its creation I thought I would be able to add welds to it.

I wasn't successful which is not the issue, but rather since I have NO welds on this, and this assembly shows as a weld model, is there a way to reverse this?  I need to add an assembly cut to this model and it is not allowing me due to this.

Thanks

Scott

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
Inventor Professional 2014
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Hi Cadmanto, 

For some reason Autodesk has not provided a way to revert back to an regular assembly once it has been converted to a weldment. There are 2 workarounds that I've used in the past:

1) Leave it as weldment assembly and just use the Preperations or the Machining tools to add the assembly features, and just don't add weld information.

2) Place the weldment in a new assembly, and promote all of the components up to the top level and then delete the weldment assembly. Then simply save the new assembly as the correct part number.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 2 of 3 (455 Views)

Re: Reversing Weld Assembly??

04-06-2012 07:40 AM in reply to: Cadmanto

Hi Cadmanto, 

For some reason Autodesk has not provided a way to revert back to an regular assembly once it has been converted to a weldment. There are 2 workarounds that I've used in the past:

1) Leave it as weldment assembly and just use the Preperations or the Machining tools to add the assembly features, and just don't add weld information.

2) Place the weldment in a new assembly, and promote all of the components up to the top level and then delete the weldment assembly. Then simply save the new assembly as the correct part number.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 3 of 3 (450 Views)

Re: Reversing Weld Assembly??

04-06-2012 07:50 AM in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Thanks Curtis,

I think Autodesk should seriously take a look at this and make a way to reverse this.

I went for option #1.  That worked fine.  Thanks for jogging my memory.  I forgot about that little tool.  :smileyhappy:

Option #2 I would think would give me grief when it comes to vault and the duplicate file name thing.

I know it would be a new file, but my expierence to this point would tell me that vault would detect a difference

and throw this message back to me not allowing the checking in of the file.

Thanks again

Scott

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
Inventor Professional 2014
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!