Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reversing dimensions problem

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
amirrezapakroo
350 Views, 4 Replies

Reversing dimensions problem

Hi All

I have a rare and random problem for controlling my sketch via dimensions by inputting parameters.

In a complicate sketch I have a form to control some important dimensions 

I have a dimension wich some times I need to set it to zero but for another design when some times I try to add 10mm (for example) the sketch will move in reverse direction! And sometimes it will move the sketch in right direction as it was at first time.

I attached a simple image to explain it for you

Imagine you design two circle both above the horizontal line when you add 0 to left it will move to point zero but when you add 10 it must move above of the horizontal line but some time i can see without any reason the circle will move below the horizontal line by this 10mm input!

In other hand how i can move it above horizontal line or below it by just entering parameters or via a form?

I mean if I can control the way of moving my sketch in second issue I will solve my first problem inside a complicate sketch as well...

p.jpg(as you can see - or + inputs are same for inventor to control direction of moving )

Thanks for any suggestion or help...

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
salariua
in reply to: amirrezapakroo

This is not rare and very common to me. Unfortunatelly dimensions in sketches can not have negative value but work features (planes in your case) can have negative values.

Create planes for your references and dimension the distance to each plane as Right and Left as you've done with your circles. Go inside sketch, project the planes and constrain the circles to that. 

Now you can control the position of the planes that will drive the position of your circles.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 3 of 5
salariua

Try the attached part.

610.gif

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 4 of 5
amirrezapakroo
in reply to: salariua

Thank you for your solution

is there any way to control forms of each part directly from sub assembly without opening the part?

Message 5 of 5
salariua

You can have it as prompted when placing componet in assembly.

554.jpg

Or you can add another form in the subassembly that will modify the parameters of the part.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report