Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Reuse the Flash Drive Media

67 REPLIES 67
SOLVED
Message 1 of 68
sbrusco
44553 Views, 67 Replies

Reuse the Flash Drive Media

Hi All,

I generally keep the media for the previous release when the new release comes, and destroy the media for the release two releases old. I now find it hard to destrop the flash drives PDS and BDS come on, just because i would like to reuse them. I understand they are write protected and for good reason but it would break my heart if i had to take a hammer to them just to protect my company's EULA with Autodesk.

Is there any way to remove the write protection so i can make use of this otherwise useful tool?

TIA

Sal

67 REPLIES 67
Message 2 of 68
-niels-
in reply to: sbrusco

Message 3 of 68
sbrusco
in reply to: -niels-

Thanks niels,

This looks like exactly what i asked for. But very intimidating to me, especially the warning to "Continue at your own risk."

I'll study it a bit closer but i'm keeping my hammer near-by.

Sal

Message 4 of 68
JamesLovell

Itā€™s a bit more involved than many would be comfortable doing and can be possibly very damaging if you didnā€™t know what you were doing. It does work though (different programs and processes for each version of the sticks)

Regards,

James Lovell
Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz,QUADRO RTX 4000, 1TB CORSAIR MP600 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe
Product Design & Manufacturing Collection
Message 5 of 68
-niels-

I had the same feeling, but then i figured: I'm not going to use this older version anymore anyways, so all i'd lose is a flash drive that i couldn't use for anything else.
The process itself wasn't that hard, it's just the "do i have the right version" that makes it so uncertain.
But for me it worked with the 2012 flash drive.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 6 of 68
sbrusco
in reply to: JamesLovell

James,

Thanks for the reply. The different programs and processes for each stick version is part of my intimidation. One thing that always confuses me is why someone like Autodesk even cares that we reuse their media? I mean, really, are we going to pay many thousands of $s for the software just so we can delete all the contents and have a blank flash drive.

In my mind, this is comparable to a programmer creating a UI form that contains more controls than can be seen on a small size form, but they lock the size and force the user to employ the scroll bars. Worse yet, in my experience, the size of the forms is sizeable by default so it takes an extra step(s) to lock it. Why?

Okay, i'm stepping off my soapbox. Sorry for the rant.

Sal

Message 7 of 68
mcgyvr

@sbrusco wrote:

James,

I mean, really, are we going to pay many thousands of $s for the software just so we can delete all the contents and have a blank flash drive.

Isn't that exactly what you are doing?  Smiley Tongue

I'd lock it down too.. no different from getting the software on CD/DVD.. 

Keeps idiots from overwriting the files or screwing something up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 68
karthur1

I have recommissioned several using this technique (2012, 2013 and 2014).  The process that I used started below the bar under the "Edit 6" on the referenced webpage.  I have done 16 GB and 32 GB drives without any problem.

Kirk

Message 9 of 68
sbrusco
in reply to: mcgyvr

Hi mcgyvr,

I'm an NOT buying the software ~just~ for the flash drive as i stated and you quoted, that would be ludicrous and i'm sure you must understand and agree with that. And i would protect my software too but i'm not trying to steal it, i'm trying to delete it to reuse the media so this is, as they say, no skin of the teeth of Autodesk. Yes, write protect it to prevent accidental deletion for sure. I just don't understand the uber protection. From ~my~ perspective, i hate to throw away anything of value and the flash media, if i can reuse it, would save me about $30-$40 at no additional cost to Autodesk. If i try to see this from Autodesk's perspective, i've paid for the use of the software which they choose to provide on the flash drive. Once i'm done with the media, why would they care what i do with it?

I may be missing the boat here, but i believe not.

Sal

Message 10 of 68
mcgyvr

I knew it would come down to "cheap-ness" Smiley Very Happy 

Let it go man..let it go.. throw that thing in the trash.. you can do it.. you will feel sooo much better. 

Just playing Sal.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 11 of 68
sbrusco

Haha. My brother says i'm so cheap i squeek when i walk. And my coworkers call me "$0" (dollar sign zero) but i think its in my DNA; i just can't stop it. Someone help me, pleeeeeese.

Message 12 of 68
mcgyvr

Now is your chance to fight back against your disease.. 

Step1- get a big hammer..

Step 2-.. I think you know the rest..  Smiley Very Happy

Sounds like my uncle.. Literally millions of dollars in his bank account and he complianed for a full 2 hours the other day because we went to McDonalds and he forgot his coupon for the free coffee..  

Message 13 of 68
sbrusco

There was a commercial years ago about a rich man drinking a "less expensive" wine and when he was asked why he drank the cheap wine when he was so rich he could afford the more expensive bottles he quipped "How do you think I got to be so rich"? On the other hand, i am "frugal" because i am NOT rich.

Message 14 of 68
jeanchile

@mcgyvr wrote:

Literally millions of dollars in his bank account and he complianed for a full 2 hours the other day because we went to McDonalds and he forgot his coupon for the free coffee..  

I was on my partners $360,000 boat the other day when we accidentally trashed his prop on his boat lift. It's a $300 part... he's worth multiple millions, and he was pissed the whole rest of the trip.

"Those of us who have money, do so because we still know the value of a dollar."

Inventor Professional
Message 15 of 68
mrattray

Don't listen to them, there's nothing wrong with being cheap!
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 16 of 68
sbrusco
in reply to: mrattray

Thanks for the support Mike. Us cheap...er...uh...i mean frugal people need to stick together.

Message 17 of 68
-niels-

Lol, this topic got a bit derailed šŸ˜„
As for me, i think it's just wasteful to throw away a functioning flash drive.
(Let alone take a hammer to smash it to bits...)
I'd rather brick it first, so it would be completely useless to anyone.
Besides, it's kinda fun pulling out an Autodesk branded flash drive to show off with. šŸ˜›

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 18 of 68
mcgyvr
in reply to: -niels-

@-niels- wrote:

Besides, it's kinda fun pulling out an Autodesk branded flash drive to show off with. šŸ˜›

Only if you put Solidworks files on it Smiley Surprised 

Message 19 of 68
sbrusco

This group is always the first place i go for help, and often times i get a good laugh as well. This helps to keep me going in the face of life.

Message 20 of 68
blair

I just keep the drives for a couple of years and then finally throw them out. Used to do the same thing with the disc media. Now with the downloadable media, it all gets saved to a USB drive. I even keep the SP's and Hot-Fixes for a couple of years. What can I say, it's the OCD kicking in, it's so bad I took the online OCD test a number of times. šŸ™‚

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi Ī”Ī¤Ī§

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report