Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reuse (Re-use) assembly

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
689 Views, 6 Replies

Reuse (Re-use) assembly

Dear Inventor Users,

In Inventor 2009 I have an assembly with a couple of parts.  I want to re-use this sub-assembly elsewhere as another instance of the same assembly.  What steps do I need to do in order to accomplish this?  I've tried "Place Component" which simply does nothing and "copy component" which makes copies of the files.  I just want another instance of the assembly.

Sincerely,

Christmas May

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jletcher
in reply to: 5873

Just do a pack and go placing it in the other project. But if there  is only a few parts and drawings just copy and paste in new project,

Message 3 of 7
mcgyvr

@5873 wrote:

Dear Inventor Users,

In Inventor 2009 I have an assembly with a couple of parts.  I want to re-use this sub-assembly elsewhere as another instance of the same assembly.  What steps do I need to do in order to accomplish this?  I've tried "Place Component" which simply does nothing and "copy component" which makes copies of the files.  I just want another instance of the assembly.

Sincerely,

Christmas May

huh? Just place the assembly into a new assembly.. place component should work just fine..

Or are you saying you want an assembly like that but with different parts or something..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 7

I could be mistaken, but I believe your solution was for how to use it in a differnet project.  I want to reuse it in the same project.

Message 5 of 7
jletcher

you can't without renaming it or copy or you could make an iassembly and if you are going to do that you might as well make it with ilogic..

You cannot have the same assembly or parts with the same name but be different unless you do one or the other option.

Message 6 of 7
johnsonshiue

When you said " I've tried "Place Component" which simply does nothing", could you be more specific on the steps? It should work exactly as you anticipated. Could you post the dataset here or send it to me?

I don't quite understand why "Place Component" does not work here.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 7

It now works.  I saved, closed, and shut down.  When I came back in the morning it worked.  I really don't know why.  One thing I did notice is that when I went through "Place Component" and double clicked it didn't populate the filename text box.  I did have to type it in manually before clicking on the Okay/Open button.  Perhaps when working at night I simply thought it was an "invalid entry" because it wouldn't let me select the assembly.  At any rate, it is working now.

Thanks for your assistance,

Christmas May

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report