Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retrieve Dimension precision in IDW

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
brownn
1958 Views, 2 Replies

Retrieve Dimension precision in IDW

I've recently been playing with the "Retrieve Dimension" feature in IDWs to pull the model dimensions and tolerances from the IPT.  I'm wondering if I am understanding the behavior correctly.

The IPT Document Settings > Default Tolerance "Use" and "Export" standard tolerance values boxes are checked.

I have standard tolerances defined for .xx and .xxx precisions.  Default in the IPT is .xxx.

If I place a sketch dimension and extrude a feature, place that part in an IDW, and "Retrieve Dimension," the result is that the dimension's precision and tolerance are defined by the active IDW style.

However, if I place the sketch dimension, and then modify its precision to be something other than the IPT default, when I "Retrieve Dimension" in the IDW, it pulls the modified precision and tolerance from the IPT settings.

Is this the expected behavior?  When I see the box in the IPT Default Tolerance tab that says "Export Standard Tolerance Values," I understand that to mean that the standard tolerance values in the IPT will be propagated to the IDW.  Is this incorrect?

EDIT: I'm using Inventor Pro 2013

Thanks,

Nate

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
t_hutns
in reply to: brownn

Hello Nate,

Setting in IPT Document Settings > Default Tolerance "Export Standard Tolerance Values" is not intended to export tolerance to IDW but to iProperties of the part. When this setting is on then in iProperties of the document there is custom property PartAngTol*/PartLinTol* created for every default tolerance defined.

It is legacy as designed behavior that default tolerance defined in “Document Settings > Default Tolerance“ is not propagated to IDW when retrieving dimensions to IDW. If you wish some change in current behavior please log a request to IdeaStation.

Thank you for your input

Stanislav Hutnan
Inventor Development
Autodesk

Message 3 of 3
brownn
in reply to: brownn

Stanislav,

Thanks for your reply.  I will leave the "Export Standard Tolerance Values" setting alone, then, since it does not do what I thought it did.

Thanks!

Nate

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report