Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESTRAINTS NIGHTMARES!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
610 Views, 9 Replies

RESTRAINTS NIGHTMARES!

Dear sirs/inventor gods, please help me...

As I´ve said in earlier topic I am a new inventor hater user and am suffering a lot to learn the mechanics of this software.

My earlier post was about a 5 side pyramid, but in reality, my project is geodesic dome.

I´ve modeled the whole dome in autocad and it was wonderful until I was asked to model the **** thing in inventor.

I´ve imported the triangles from autocad and I am trying to get all the pieces together. It was all fun and games until one little piece of triangle wont fit where it is meant to fit. How the hell can that not restrain into place (by using the "POINT" restraint) if all sides are the proper size???

Can someone have a look at that, please? The restraint error window is like a roadmap for a blind person (useless to me as I can´t understand that).

Also, could someone tell me how to "explode" a pattern that was created in a different file? I am using Inventor 2014 pro and there seems to be no "Independent" option like I saw for some other people.

Please find attached the files for this project.

Best regards!

Joao.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
WHolzwarth
in reply to: Anonymous

Hmm. I've thought, I had shown a solution in the other thread.

No files are here. Can you attach your ACAD data?

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi jalfmendonca,

Maybe this video will help, or at least provide some ideas:

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! The files are not attached. Please attach them.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 10
pcrawley
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Curtis's video makes it look so easy!  Great job Curtis!

Inventor is actually brilliant for this type of structure - take a look at this - the entire facade was modelled in Inventor because all the other software vendors out there said it couldn't be done.  (There is an Autodesk Case Study on the design, but I've no idea where to find it!)

So don't be a "hater user" - ask open questions here and accept the help that people freely offer.  You might be surprised at what you can achieve.

Peter
Message 6 of 10

@pcrawley wrote:

Curtis's video makes it look so easy!

Hi pcrawley,

Credit for the video actually goes to Thom Tremblay of Autodesk.

I suspect, that the AutoCAD data that jalfmendonca had, included some "beat to fit, paint to match" issues in it. Meaning that the dome was assembled by osnaps in AutoCAD that allowed some small amount of fudge factor, where as Inventor's constraint relationships require things to be more perfect mathematically.

So it might be useful to use something like this geodesic dome calculator:

http://www.desertdomes.com/domecalc.html

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Hey guys,

thanks for the help. I will have a look at it closely tomorrow morning.

That video with the planes sure makes it look easy. In my head that was sort of the way I would have started the work, but my boss has quite a confusing methodoloy and he wants it done in a different way, the same goes to the geodesic structure. No matter how many times I´ve shown him different approaches, he is going to use the one in his head, no matter what.

Thanks for all the patience and I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I cannot upload the file as its a rar.

Message 8 of 10
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately, I cannot upload the file as its a rar. 

That should be really easy to fix.

In Windows Explorer right click on the *.dwg file and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting Windows *.zip file here.

Since you already have it created in AutoCAD it should be easy to convert to Inventor file(s).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 9 of 10
WHolzwarth
in reply to: JDMather

New attempt.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 10 of 10

I'm going to go back and try using that method to see if I can define a buckyball model!

I don't recall the history of how that came together but there's three different assemblies in that folder - looks like one or more were used to figure out dim's and angles and such before I finalized on a solid model that visually looks good - I'm not impressed with the way I got there though!

buckyball_experimenting.png

attached model saved in 2014.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report