Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Associativity?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Bill.Schmid
5788 Views, 5 Replies

Restore Associativity?

When you're working in an assembly, if you change the visibility of a work feature, Inventor tells you the visibility is controlled elsewhere and asks if you want to remove the associativity.  Is there a way to restore that associativity once it's been removed?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi Bill.Schmid, 

You can right-click on a subassembly and choose Representation... and then set the Associative option for any View Representation other than Master.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 6
trumpy81
in reply to: Bill.Schmid

Bill, I have seen the same message, but for the life of me, I can't work out what it means. I don't use any associativity in my models because it causes problems when I try to use my parts in other projects, so what associativity it refers to is a mystery to me.

I don't have any sub assemblies most of the time either?

At present I just answer Yes or No and the dialog goes away. So far is hasn't caused any issues that I'm aware of.

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 4 of 6

Curtis,

Thanks, that did it.  Nice animation you've got for your profile picture, too.

Message 5 of 6
Bill.Schmid
in reply to: trumpy81

Andy,

If you edit a part or assembly within its parent assembly and change the visibility of a work feature, you get that warning message.  I think what it means is that the visibility of that work feature was controlled from somewhere else, not the assembly you're in.  Clicking OK shifts that control to the assembly you're in.  So now, if you turn the work feature's visibility on or off in its own part or assembly, it won't have any effect on the assembly you changed it in.  That can be bad if you get 50 instances of the part or assembly, all with a work axis turned on and showing that you want to turn off.  You can't just turn it off in the original part or assembly.  But, if you restore the associativity, you can.

It's kind of a long explanation.  I hope it helps, or at least doesn't add to the confusion.

Message 6 of 6
trumpy81
in reply to: Bill.Schmid

Bill, thanks for the explanation, it helps.

I guess I don't see it as much because my assemblies are generally on the small side and I've only really encountered it when adding design view representations.

Oh, and I wouldn't be concerned about confusing me, I'm in a constant state of confusion ... lol

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report