Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset revision block data

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
ttruman
2071 Views, 3 Replies

Reset revision block data

We frequently will create a new part and drawing based on an existing drawing to save time recreating views and re-dimensioning the entire drawing. This is done by using Design Assistant to copy the idw and ipt file to a new name.

The only problem we have experienced with this workflow is that the revision history for the old drawing is maintained in the new file, and there doesnt seem to be a way to reset it. This also causes us a problem if a drawing needs to be changed from numeric to letter indication of revision level.

Does anyone know of a way to reset the revision history so that a new table can be started from scratch?

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: ttruman

Hi ttruman,

Unless I'm misunderstanding, you'll want to delete the revision table and revision tags from the drawing, and then place a new revision block. That will let you choose the starting revision number, etc. again.

Also be aware that older versions of Inventor had limitations in this area, but I don't recall when the changes were made (Inventor 2009 maybe?).

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 4

Hi Curtis,

your answer may be correct, but is not very elaborate. In my (and many colleagues) experience, Revision Tables and Tags may drive you completely nuts, when tags and tables don't do what you want them to do, because you haven't understood, what's going on under the hood, and you try to use them on a naive approach and you're bound to what's explained in the documentation about that topic.

So i have conducted some systematic research what happens when and why, when I am trying to add another Table, Row or Tag and the result is not what I have expected. I have written down everything that I considered noteworthy and what's not well explained in the documentation in my opinion (or not even at all).

I hope, this might help others to better understand whats going on.

Cheers, Bert

-> see the attached pdf 

Message 4 of 4
Bert_Bimmel
in reply to: ttruman

Postscriptum: The active Revision Table row will not update automatically, when you have edited linked iProperties outside Inventor (i.e. in Windows Explorer) and then reopen the drawing. Apparently it will not update before the document get's dirtied with the ePropertyEditCmd-Flag beeing raised.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report