Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset crooked Front View

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
wfbbob
21971 Views, 25 Replies

Reset crooked Front View

Is there a way to reset the front view in Inventor once the front view has been set crooked? 

I have students who will rotate a part to an odd angle (say 5-10 degrees rotated around one or more of the axes) and then Reset the front view .  Then when they try to place the part in a drawing file it is nearly impossible to get good perpendicular views (relative to the viewing plane) for dimensioning.

We have "tweaked" the part as close as we can by hand, but is there a way to use the XYZ planes or something to force the part back into a clean 90 degree default position once the front view has been set off-kilter?

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: wfbbob

I assume that this is in an assembly file?

If so, Unground the part, then constrain the part origins to the same named assembly origins. You can then Ground the part and delete the constraints if desired.

The problem comes from your students ungrounding the first part inserted into the assembly. Tell them not to do that.... Smiley Wink

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 3 of 26
rdyson

If you're talking about the view cube front definition, use 'view face' and 'set current view as' front

PDSU 2016
Message 4 of 26
wfbbob
in reply to: rdyson

Sorry.  I should have clarified that I am talking about PART files (although the problem would then carry over into the assembly file once the part was placed).

I will try the "view face" and then the "set current view as" option on the view cube.  The students have used the "Set current view as front" on a crooked view.  If "View face" gets me back to 90 degree views as defined by the XY-XZ-YZ planes then that should be the solution.

I will mark this as a solution if it works for me this afternoon.]

Thanks

Message 5 of 26
Dennis_Jeffrey

Post an example part. I'd like to see what your students did wrong.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 6 of 26
JDMather

Funny things students will do.  I was able to reproduce the behavior.

Set askew view a Front.
Created an idw view of Front and it was askew.
Went back to model and Reset Front.
Went back to idw and view does not update.
Created new Front View and it was fine.

Looks like you are out of luck.  Tell them not to do that.  Tell them if they do do that they get to do the drawing over.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 26
wfbbob
in reply to: JDMather

I am going to have to get ahold of one of their files and see exactly what they did.  I have used "View Face" and/or "Reset Front" on all of my attemtps to make the mistake and have been able to get back to a non-skewed view.  But neither seemed to work for my students' files. 

I will attempt to recreate their problem and then post an update.

Who knew it would be so hard to make a mistake?

Message 8 of 26
akap47

My assy has a subassy angulary located to the Front View of main assy.

I need create a dwg with orthogonal views of this croocked subassy front - left - and top.

How easy it was on DeskTo p!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks anyway.

Message 9 of 26
JDMather
in reply to: akap47

@akap47 wrote:

How easy it was on DeskTo p!!!!!!!!!!

It is trivially easy in Inventor.
Instead of using the standard views - simply select the Change view orientation and set up whatever you want.

Change View.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 10 of 26
afbelgrave

I ran into the same problem, but figured it out, when the view's out of wack in the part file,

1.Hover over the view cube.

2. When the vertical ribbon appears (To the right of the cube)

3. Select the "Look At" button at the bottom of the newly appeared ribbon.

4. Select a Face on the model.

5. Then hover over the View Cube, right click the Face of the view you're currently in.

6. Finally select "Set Current View as", select Top or Front, and it squares your view.

Message 11 of 26
SBix26
in reply to: afbelgrave

When "the view's out of wack in the part file", it's time to fix the part file, not just redefine Front!  If your part or assembly is not oriented the way it should be, get it re-oriented properly with the coordinate system.  It got that way by not being fully constrained in the first place, so that's what needs to be fixed.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2016 Update 2
Vault Basic 2016
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1

Message 12 of 26
ian-arbouw-1996

what I do is creating a sketch on a 1 of the services of the construction. then when the reorientation is done I set the current view to front or top.
Message 13 of 26
akap47
in reply to: ian-arbouw-1996

Can you snap a photo.

Message 14 of 26
hncarle
in reply to: afbelgrave

You can also hit the hot key "Page Up" then choose the face you want for front.

Message 15 of 26
hugligan
in reply to: hncarle

Late answer but i had massive problems with this in a complicated assembly that i could just not undo everything. This sets the piece right up and then you can select the view as front. Thanks big time!

Message 16 of 26
akap47

Try to create  a new assy and insert crooked part in it.

Create work plans on part edges parallel to original plans XY XZ YZ

Reorient (constrain) part to newly created work plans.

Than Demote part and save as New component name same as the original name with - (dash) on the end.

Delete original and rename new part as original name by  removing -(dash) from end of the original name.

It should reorient your part to perpendicular view.

Message 17 of 26
JDMather
in reply to: akap47

@akap47

You are replying to an ancient thread.

The software has changed.

Not sure you tested the original problem description.

Some of the people in this thread are no longer around.

EESignature

Message 18 of 26
zer0z1996
in reply to: JDMather

I got the same problem, but all of the above solution's just don't work for me. Anyone that can help?

Message 19 of 26
SBix26
in reply to: zer0z1996

Post your files here and let us know what version of Inventor you're using.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2019.1.2 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 20 of 26
johnsonshiue
in reply to: zer0z1996

Hi! Do you mind elaborating the problem you are having or starting a new topic with more detail info?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report