Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request: printer configurations!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
patrjck
475 Views, 12 Replies

Request: printer configurations!

Dear Autodesk, I routinely use A, B, C, and D size drawings.  C and D size go to our wide format printer and then I have to select the paper size.  It would be really nice if Inventor could automatically print D size drawings on D size paper and so on.  I'm envisioning some kind of configuration manager that I set up once and for all, then never worry about setting up printers again.  You would set a print configuration for every size of drawing.  Please consider this feature in future releases. 

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
sam_m
in reply to: patrjck

print profiles have been requested many times over the years...  (without them it makes printing from the Task Scheduler a joke as you can only print documents of the same paper-size together, and how do you know the paper-size without opening each idw, so defeating the purpose of a batch-print tool...)

all I can suggest is to use KWIKPrints for now:

http://www.kwikmcad.com/icode/KWiKPrints32_64/KWiKPrints32_64.aspx

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 3 of 13
jdits7

You can always try an addin, a great one is called Swift Prints. Here is a link to the download.

http://cadtoolbox.com/swift-prints/

jdits7
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Blog - http://www.inventortopix.com
Twitter - @InventorTopixJD
Message 4 of 13
patrjck
in reply to: jdits7

Swift prints is pretty nice, saves a lot of clicks.  Now if only it auto detected the sheet size ... thanks for the tip!

Message 5 of 13
karthur1
in reply to: jdits7

I've bn using swift prints for about a year.  I can only use it to print to my pdfcreator.  Works great for this... two clicks and it is printed.

If I try to print to a network printer it doesnt work.  Wondering if others have the same issue with swiftprints.

Message 6 of 13
patrjck
in reply to: karthur1

Both printers I use are networked and work just fine.  Windows 7 32 bit, Inventor 12

Message 7 of 13
kstate92

Just curious: why 32-bit Windows 7?

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 8 of 13
patrjck
in reply to: kstate92

Our IS department doesn't support 64 bit.  This turned out for the best because we use an ancient wide printer that Xerox doesn't write 64 bit drivers for.  I have 2 computers and run 64 bit on my main workstation and print from my 32 bit laptop.  Now you know!

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

Have you downloaded the latest version of Swift Prints? It's new as of 06/25/2011.

Message 10 of 13
karthur1
in reply to: Anonymous

Thomas,

Yes, I am using V2.0 (b2).  When I print via swiftprints, it sends the file to the printer. At the printer, there is a message on the screen that says "Paper Size and Type Mismatch".  If I am printing 8 1/2 x 11, I can select it from the printer screen and it prints just fine.  Our printer has 8 1/2 x 11, 11 x 17 and Ledger size loaded in it.

When I configured swiftprints, I just selected the paper size that was on the drop-down list.

Kirk

Message 11 of 13
CadUser46

I can see how that could be useful but i hope Inventor never becomes like Autocad in the sense of PC3 files.  The printing workflow is jsut so much cleaner in the occasions when random paper sizes are required.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2010 Certified Professional
Currently using 2023 Pro
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

What type printer are you printing to? Sounds like it may not be sending the proper size to the proper tray.

Also, also what paper size/drawing size are you sending to the printer?

Message 13 of 13
karthur1
in reply to: Anonymous

My printer is a RICOH Aficio MP C4000 RPCS.  I have tried printing on a 8.5x11 and a 11/x17 paper.

I dont have any problem at all printing from Inventor or any other application on these sheet sizes.

Running Windows 7x64.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report