Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

jcstevens
Message 1 of 4 (225 Views)

Request for improvement: Groove Weld Contour

225 Views, 3 Replies
08-24-2012 08:17 AM

I am a new Inventor user (coming from Solidworks). I like a lot about the functionality of Inventor's weld features, but I would like to see the ability to specify the countour of groove welds.

I know that we can specify the contour using the weld symbols in drawings, but the graphics of a sectioned view would not match the symbol. This shouldn't matter, but coming from a detial-oriented mindset it would be nice if a solution to this issue was provided in future releases.

I have found this previous thread on this same topic from 2005, but unless I am missing something I don't think this issue has been addressed since. Just wanted to add this one to the long wish list. Thanks!

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 2 of 4 (209 Views)

Re: Request for improvement: Groove Weld Contour

08-24-2012 10:38 AM in reply to: jcstevens
jcstevens
Message 3 of 4 (207 Views)

08-24-2012 10:40 AM in reply to: mrattray

Thanks for the links, I'll use those!

Distinguished Contributor
kstate92
Message 4 of 4 (171 Views)

08-27-2012 11:26 AM in reply to: jcstevens

I finally gave up and built a model of a grooved weld bead to get a proper weld 'cap' so it wouldn't look like the circular groove weld (a very common feature for us) was supposed to be turned flush (time and money).

This, combined with fillet welds ending up as prismatic and chunky as the animated guys in the old Dire Straight's Money For Nothing video, makes me realize why I see so many weldment models with no welds at all, but just empty grooves.  Just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if all the people involved creating the Welding environment have not even seen a welder, let alone conducted welding of any sort.  If they have, that's doubly shameful.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2014 64 SP2
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit - SP1
Xeon E5-1620
16 GB Ram
Quadro 4000
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.