Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for improvement: Groove Weld Contour

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
jcstevens
365 Views, 3 Replies

Request for improvement: Groove Weld Contour

I am a new Inventor user (coming from Solidworks). I like a lot about the functionality of Inventor's weld features, but I would like to see the ability to specify the countour of groove welds.

I know that we can specify the contour using the weld symbols in drawings, but the graphics of a sectioned view would not match the symbol. This shouldn't matter, but coming from a detial-oriented mindset it would be nice if a solution to this issue was provided in future releases.

I have found this previous thread on this same topic from 2005, but unless I am missing something I don't think this issue has been addressed since. Just wanted to add this one to the long wish list. Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mrattray
in reply to: jcstevens
Message 3 of 4
jcstevens
in reply to: mrattray

Thanks for the links, I'll use those!

Message 4 of 4
kstate92
in reply to: jcstevens

I finally gave up and built a model of a grooved weld bead to get a proper weld 'cap' so it wouldn't look like the circular groove weld (a very common feature for us) was supposed to be turned flush (time and money).

This, combined with fillet welds ending up as prismatic and chunky as the animated guys in the old Dire Straight's Money For Nothing video, makes me realize why I see so many weldment models with no welds at all, but just empty grooves.  Just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if all the people involved creating the Welding environment have not even seen a welder, let alone conducted welding of any sort.  If they have, that's doubly shameful.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums