Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing Content Center Parts

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
grobbarg
427 Views, 6 Replies

Replacing Content Center Parts

Hi,

We are using Tube and Pipe with custom valves, flanges etc published to and taken from Content Center. Quite frequently we have to mock up a vendor supplied valve until we get the final model from them (usually near the end of the project) the mocked up valves can change in design over the course of the project, which means submitting and re-submitting different versions of valve with a slightly different name each time.

To try and keep things tidy (and prevent confusion with other users) I've tried to delete existing families and replace again with the same name, but Inventor T&P/CC won't allow this, and usually get the error message about family name already existing.

How can I truly delete the family and have no trace left on CC/Vault/working folders etc? Is there a workflow I should be aware of for such a task?

Thanks for any advice,

Graham

Inventor Routed Systems 2011

Win 7 x64

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2013
Win7 x64
Dell Precision T7400
Xeon X5460 @ 3.16GHz
8GB RAM
Quadro FX 1700 512MB
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
cbenner
in reply to: grobbarg

Not sure on a workflow just yet, but I might suggest that in those cases... where you don't know the final configuration of a valve... maybe place in a dummy valve that is not a CC part.  Just create a block that you can put in line as a placeholder.  You wouldn't have to publish it to the CC, or even Vault it.  Then when you get the final design, you can create the part for the CC, and replace the dummys in your pipeline.  Then it's just a simple matter of deleting the part file of the dummy valve from your hard drive or network drive.

Just a thought, maybe it wouldn't work in your situation?

Message 3 of 7
grobbarg
in reply to: cbenner

Thanks Chris,

I suppose we could create a common valve directory and keep the authored dummy valves in that directory and change out as necessary until final version - we would still have to use Vault unfortunately as there are other users who need access to the parts, then I guess the files could be swapped and checked out and back in to vault if we can fool it into thinking it's the same file?

I would still like to understand what CC does with the published files and how to clear all references to them.... they also appear in Vault under CC Files - perhaps that's normal behavior...

G

Win7 x64
Dell Precision T7400
Xeon X5460 @ 3.16GHz
8GB RAM
Quadro FX 1700 512MB
Message 4 of 7
cbenner

The first time a CC part is used, an actual part file is created in a folder designated in your Applications Options.  Since you are using Vault, these are also vaulted.  I think you would have to physically delete the files and folders  from the CC directory (look in App Options to see where they are going).  It is usually Content Center\ en-us... but where depends on your setup. 

So... Delete the family folder from that location, delete the same family folder from the Vault (assuming you have permissions), then you should be able to delete it form CC and create the new family.  At least I think so.  LOL

Clear as mud?  Smiley Surprised

Message 5 of 7
grobbarg
in reply to: cbenner

Hmm - I 'think' that worked Smiley Happy

1. I published a custom flange, placed it into a piping assembly, then Vaulted it.

2. In Vault explorer, deleted the folder and part that was created under CC Files

3. Deleted another folder and file that was created under \Inventor Data\Content Center\en-US (mapped to a drive on our network).

I then repeated first step above, and no messages about families already existing or parts missing....  so hopefully this is the workflow I was looking for!

Thanks very much for your input...

G

Win7 x64
Dell Precision T7400
Xeon X5460 @ 3.16GHz
8GB RAM
Quadro FX 1700 512MB
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Are you talking about the message window indicating the family (folder) name already exist when you finish publish the part to the CC?   If so that is okay and you can continue without any problem.  Well it was like that in 2010...   Maybe in 11/12 they have changed it.

Basically Autodesk is assuming you are associating a single family table to a family folder name.   However when you are purchasing multiple items from the same vendor, you may want all the components to go under the same folder no matter what they are.   As long as you create unique member/file names for the components they can all reside in the same family folder name in vault and etc.

But I would recommend not doing what you have been doing about placing a non-final design of a component in the CC and then keep changing it.   Either define the non-final component as others have indicated along with the tube/piping definitions and insert into your design using the place fitting (routed system) feature where you can select tube & pipe authored parts that reside somewhere on your PC or network drive.   In addition to that..  Even when you get the final design, it can still reside as a part with tube and pipe settings on your hard drive and never go into CC.

The other thing you can do is to select the Connect fitting feature and use the insert fitting icon to offset some distance in your pipe run to compenstate for the non-final design depending how how these components are connected together in the pipe run. 

Hope that helps 

Message 7 of 7
grobbarg
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks Lancasterm.

That is the message I was talking about - in addition to the one (I can't recall exactly the message) where a part (e.g. from T&P styles - elbow, flange, gasket etc)  is 'auto' placed from CC into a route and get a message about parts already existing and will use original part - perhaps I've been doing something wrong with the file naming here?

Anyways, based on the previous discussions, we eventually decided to make a common valves directory where the non final authored valves are placed - and as you say could probably just replace with the final version when available. I also found that I couldn't actually delete from Vault CC once someone else had used the part in their design - this can only be done by someone with admin rights. I'm now thinking that the only parts that should be published to CC are the ones that are used by T&P styles - does that sound about right?

Thanks,

G.

Win7 x64
Dell Precision T7400
Xeon X5460 @ 3.16GHz
8GB RAM
Quadro FX 1700 512MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report