Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replaced content center parts are still treated as CC parts

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
DRoam
718 Views, 4 Replies

Replaced content center parts are still treated as CC parts

This started out as a small issue but the effects keep propogating. The issue arises when I place a part as "Standard" from the Content Center. Later, I want the file stored locallyand I do RMB>"Replace from Content Center" and replace the part as a custom part. For some reason, whenever I do this, the browser bar essentially continues to treat the part as a CC part as far as its icon and re-ordering restrictions are concerned. If you've seen this issue before and know the solution you can skip the rest of this post and make me really happy by sharing your solution. Otherwise, here's a detailed explanation of the effects:

1. If the part was, for example, a pipe fitting, the icon for the part in the browser bar remains as the little pipe fitting icon rather than converting to a standard part icon. Not really a big deal, except it causes confusion as to which parts truly are standard CC parts and which are local custom parts.

2. Slightly worse of an issue, becasue these are treated as CC parts in the browser, I can't re-order them. At this point in my workflow this is quite annoying because I don't have many patterns yet, so the time is now to do any organization I want to, but I can't.

3. And here's the big issue. When I ground these "undercover" non-CC parts, the icon does not update to show that they're grounded. I also was willing to live with that at first, but then I kept running into issues with my adaptive parts and other constraints not solving when I KNEW they should, and after several minutes of investigation I discovered that one or several of these undercover parts are secretly grounded. This means that whenever my constraints do not solve, I have to go through each of them in the browser bar and check if they're grounded. I have about 20 of them.

Thanks for reading this lengthy post, if anyone has any suggestions they'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cwhetten
in reply to: DRoam

This is a frustrating bug, but fortunately has a simple workaround.

After you place the component from the content center, copy and paste it again and the pasted one should revert to the normal icon and not suffer from the restrictions you mentioned.  Then you can delete the first one and you are good to go.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2012

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.

Message 3 of 5
DRoam
in reply to: cwhetten

That's great to know, thanks for the tip! Unfortunately usually the reason I use the "Replace" command in the first place is that I already have my part constrained as I want it. Copying and pasting would cause me to lose all those. I've tried re-replacing the part as a normal part, and I've tried re-replacing from CC and then re-re-replacing as a normal part again and neither works. The browser bar seems forever stuck thinking that instance of the part is a CC part. If I could find a way to get the normal-part behavior AND keep my part constrained that would be fantastic.

Message 4 of 5
cwhetten
in reply to: DRoam

Ah, I see.  The only other workaround I have heard of is talked about here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Fitting-type-removal/m-p/3066678/highlight/true#M405...

I haven't actually tried this, so I can't speak to how well it works, but it might get you what you need without breaking your constraints.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2012

Message 5 of 5
DRoam
in reply to: cwhetten

The steps provided in message 4 of that thread worked, thanks a ton! My mates are still in place AND my fittings behave like normal parts so I can re-order/re-rank them in the assembly, and see when they're grounded. Also, my Tube and Pipe runs continued to operate normally even after this once I re-loaded the add-in. Thanks very much for the solution!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report