Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace Component in Frame Generator

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
biancascura
1427 Views, 6 Replies

Replace Component in Frame Generator

I am trying to use Replace Component to eliminate the redundancy of some components in my frame. It successfully replaces the component, but the component only translates and I cannot find a way to rotate the component to flip it around (the equivalent of a mirror) without creating a component that is no longer a part of the frame and cannot be edited in kind and which eliminates the end treatments of other mating components. If I try another method to rotate the element using Edit with Frame Generator, it rotates the component about the original component's element offset line and not the replaced component's offset line.

Is there a way to do this?

I have my Pack and Go file but it's too large to upload to the forums.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jalger
in reply to: biancascura

Hi Bianca,

I never asked last time, what version of Inventor are you using?

If you are using 2015, you can use the "Reuse" frame member command.

(you make one of each member you want to reuse then use "reuse" to populate the Members in the proper location.)

I.e. on the long frame member for the other post you would create one and then use the "reuse" command to create 3 more members

If you are using an older version you can't really do it that way.

You could insert the frame members in again and change its Orientation (it will update only when the other member updates.)

it would become an instance of that part... any change to the original is pushed to the copy /Instance ... so holes would likely become a problem.

(For the replaced component you would have to remove the Mates that were copied over)

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 3 of 7
biancascura
in reply to: jalger

Thanks for the reply. When I use that command, I get the same issue with the Replace Component command: the part is translated in space, but I cannot rotate it appropriately such that its end treatments match in the case of mitered components.

How can I rotate the duplicated component?

Message 4 of 7
jalger

Hi Bianca,

You can Rotate the Member during insert (do it one at a time).

Select the "rotate" Radial selector and put in the rotation (most likely 180).

Rotate_Change-reuse.png 

This works when createing the members, During the Reuse command , or if you use "Change" Member.

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 5 of 7
biancascura

Thanks for your reply.

I do know about the rotate option upon initial creation of a frame member, however, when I try to use that option after Component > Replace and Reuse, it rotates the part about the original part's offset axis, not the current, re-used part's offset axis. It actually physically moves the part over to where the original part it was reused from is located to have the axis of rotation be collinear.

I would like to try to use Change Reuse, which seems promising, but at the moment, when I am editing the FrameGenerator assembly, I click Change Reuse, and it does not allow me to select any individual frame members. Am I using it wrong?

Message 6 of 7
jalger

Hi Bianca,

"Change reuse" only works on parts that were created with the Reuse command.

If you edited it with the normal change command it breaks it...

Sorry about that I should have meantioned it my my last post wasn't thinking about it.

you may have to Delete the memebers and then use "reuse" again.

You can also flag it to mirror the Component (Which might make it easier for mitering)

Not sure if that will work for you.

let me know,

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 7 of 7
biancascura

Okay I got it to work. What I need to do is: Reuse the desired frame member, check the "Mirror Frame Member" option in the pop-up window, and then Change Reuse to modify its orientation, offset, etc. That's perfect. Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report