Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reorder Parameters

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
SKinzel
1428 Views, 8 Replies

Reorder Parameters

Is there a way to reorder the user parameters?  I am setting up some IPT templates and unfortunately I didn't plan the variables ahead of time so they appear in the Parameter dialog box in an order that isn't user friendly.  I imagine I could use iLogic to make a dialog box but at the moment I don't have time to teach myself that.

Stuart Kinzel
Inventor 2013-64bit, HP EliteBook8740w Intel Core i5CPU 2.67 GHz
8GB memory
Windows 7 64bit
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Cadmanto
in reply to: SKinzel

Stuart,

The only way I know to do it is if you RC on the column header and either sort descending or asending.

I suppose you could place a numberical value in front of your parameters in the order you want them then go that route.

If you like something that is said....Kudos are appreciated!!!

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 9
ampster402
in reply to: Cadmanto

@Cadmanto wrote:

I suppose you could place a numberical value in front of your parameters

That won't work with parameters.

Still on 2011 here and I am seeing all my user parameters alphabetically ordered.  In fact if I add another parameter, Inventor will sort it correctly.  This happens both in the Parameters window as well as when I go to select one to apply to a dimension.

Is this something else that broke in 2013 or not exactly what you are looking for?

Message 4 of 9
japike
in reply to: ampster402

Numbers won't work but letters will:

A_Parameter2

B_Parameter1

C_Parameter4

D_Parameter3

etc.

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 5 of 9
Cadmanto
in reply to: japike

Yes, and you can also do something like

A1PARAMETER

A2PARAMETER

A3PARAMETER

If you like something that is said....Kudos are appreciated!!!

Jeremiah 29:11

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 9
cwhetten

And if you don't want to rename your parameters, you could instead add a number or letter to the comments column and sort by that column.

-cwhetten

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.

Message 7 of 9
SKinzel
in reply to: cwhetten

I like this idea.  I am noticing one small problem.  After I sort the parameters and click <DONE> when I reopen the parameter dialog it doesn't remember the sort.  The parameters have gone back to what appears to be the order in which they were created.

I guess when I start a new IPT I'll just have to do a sort on the COMMENT field before I start entering the data.  Not a big deal.

PS:  The reason I wanted to sort them in the first place is that since the model dimensions interact with each other through the various sketches there are times when I change a parameter to the new value and the old stored values for the other parameters conflict (i.e. Iinside diameters being larger that outside diameters and the like) and it pops up an error.  Also, I didn't create the parameters with respect to a logical/friendly order input sequence.

This of course could all have been avoided if I had put some thought into the model sketch layouts before diving right in.  But I didn't. 

Stuart Kinzel
Inventor 2013-64bit, HP EliteBook8740w Intel Core i5CPU 2.67 GHz
8GB memory
Windows 7 64bit
Message 8 of 9
PedroCornelio
in reply to: SKinzel

SKinzel,

If you want all your new IPT file have the parameters in the order, you can link your parameters from a XML file.

In the Excel you can sort in the way you want.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.

Message 9 of 9
z.bussard1

How do I make the sorting permanent after setting it to either descending or ascending order. Every time I close the parameter box, it returns to default settings.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report