Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rendering Models

31 REPLIES 31
Message 1 of 32
ravencontrols
1173 Views, 31 Replies

Rendering Models

I have a model of my companys faclitiy i drew up in inventor and want to import in 3ds max and render it. I have never used 3ds max and dont understand how to do it. Can someone explain to me how to take the model of the facility i drew up and import it in 3ds max and render it. Thanks Derek

31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32

or depending on how good you want the visual, use inventor studio.  you dont have to learn a complete new package again

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 3 of 32
blair
in reply to: ravencontrols

Showcase is much easier and quicker to learn. 3dMax is incredibly in depth and has requires a lot to learn to get the most out of it. There are a number of videos on Youth as well as in the start-up panel of the program.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 32
billyb

I concur with Blair. Showcase will be easier to use. It does a good job. See attached.

Bill Bogan
- Providing freelance visualization
- Inventor: Expert
- Revit: Novice and growing...
Message 5 of 32
blair
in reply to: billyb

AML7600B-ABS.jpgA quick ShowCase render

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 32
billyb
in reply to: blair

Blair, nicely done!!

I did this one the other day...

RaceCar_book_02.jpg

Bill Bogan
- Providing freelance visualization
- Inventor: Expert
- Revit: Novice and growing...
Message 7 of 32
blair

Nice as well.

With ShowCase, I guess that one would have to use the Split-Face too in Inventor to be able to apply two different material types to a single IPT within the ShowCase environment.

Good example, for the tires we use on our Inventor trailer models, it's a simple 360 deg revolve and to get a different tire materials for the side-wall and the tire face.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 32
gsmith9810
in reply to: blair

Should I be looking at Showcase?

I'm routinely being asked to generate print quality marketing renders of machines with 16k total parts in 1k of open documents.

Using INV Studio is taking 1.5 hours to generate a single rendered image.

Inventor Routed Systems 2011
2 Duo CPU @ 2.4 GHZ
8 GB RAM
Quadro FX 4600 v310.9 768 MB dedicated/4351 MB available
Windows 7 - 64 bit

-------------------------------------------------------
Gary Smith
Inventor Product Design Suite 2013sp2
Windows 7sp1 64-bit
nVidia Quadro 2000
Message 9 of 32
LT.Rusty
in reply to: gsmith9810

@gsmith9810 wrote:

Should I be looking at Showcase?

I'm routinely being asked to generate print quality marketing renders of machines with 16k total parts in 1k of open documents.

Using INV Studio is taking 1.5 hours to generate a single rendered image.

@2 Duo CPU @ 2.4 GHZ
8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64 bit

Showcase probably won't be any quicker in rendering, but it'll look a lot better.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 10 of 32
gsmith9810
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Thank-you sir!

In your opinion, what >>should<< I be looking at to kick my rendering performance up (several) notches?

I don't think that I can upgrade individual components of my h/w set-up however I may be able to make a case to dump this box and get something more performant.

Gary Smith

2 Duo CPU @ 2.4 GHZ
8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64 bit

Gary Smith
Windows 7sp1 64-bit
nVidia Quadro 2000
Message 11 of 32
LT.Rusty

@gsmith9810 wrote:

Thank-you sir!

In your opinion, what >>should<< I be looking at to kick my rendering performance up (several) notches?

I don't think that I can upgrade individual components of my h/w set-up however I may be able to make a case to dump this box and get something more performant.

Gary Smith

@2 Duo CPU @ 2.4 GHZ
8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64 bit

Check the specs in my sig for my workstation, the Dell.  That's about 15 or 18 months old now, and has been superceded a couple times, but that's about the bare minimum amount of horsepower you really want to be running with if you're doing a lot of rendering.  Try and get a couple steps higher on the video card if possible.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 12 of 32
gsmith9810

Do I want/need the additional GHz of the processor OR do I want/need the 16 GB (v. my 8 GB) of RAM?

Or, is it the graphics card?

Gary Smith
Windows 7sp1 64-bit
nVidia Quadro 2000
Message 13 of 32
LT.Rusty

@gsmith9810 wrote:

Do I want/need the additional GHz of the processor OR do I want/need the 16 GB (v. my 8 GB) of RAM?

Or, is it the graphics card?

All three, but GPU is lower priority than CPU / RAM.

The world's fastest CPU is useless if you don't have enough memory for it to stay constantly busy, and having a full TB of RAM is pointless if your CPU can't chew through problems fast enough to make use of all that RAM.

GPU will help with with just minute to minute operations in Showcase.  I find that when I'm setting my scenes up, I at times run very slowly, because my GPU isn't really keeping up, especially when I've got a lot of items and such on screen at the same time.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 14 of 32
gsmith9810

Thanks!

Gary Smith
Windows 7sp1 64-bit
nVidia Quadro 2000
Message 15 of 32
dgorsman

Media-quality renderings of decent size will usually take several hours to process without some water-cooled overclocked monstrosity.  Thats one of the reasons for a "pre-vis" rendering style for doing test renders: it lets you push out a test image in a couple of minutes for tweaking before committing to the full-scale operation.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 16 of 32
cwhetten

Rendering in Inventor Studio AND Showcase are all about the CPU.  If you are doing a lot of rendering, then you want a fast CPU (higher GHz the better), and you want a CPU with a lot of cores.  The more cores you have, the faster it will render.  A dual-core CPU will render nearly twice as fast as a single-core.  A quad-core will render nearly 4X faster than a single core.  Etc.

Number of cores makes more of a difference than GHz.

-cwhetten

Message 17 of 32
gsmith9810
in reply to: cwhetten

Thanks - I'll admit to being on the shallow-end of the pool when it comes to knowing what makes for a kick-*ss box. I always had one and never had to specify just what it was I needed.

Now, I think I need a better box but also have to be mindfuil of what my REAL job is and not of the fact that it takes time to do the renders I'm being asked to do (on a box that is adequate for 99% of what I do daily).

Gary

Gary Smith
Windows 7sp1 64-bit
nVidia Quadro 2000
Message 18 of 32
mpatchus

Some decent results can be achieved using Studio.

But Showcase does provide more flexibility in my opinion.

Both of these were done using Studio.

set1 - Copy.jpg

Station.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 19 of 32
gsmith9810

To those who have replied to me already thanks!

It appears that we actually have a license for Showcase and I'm now running it on a loaner box. The box has a single Xeon processor running at 3 GHz, 8 GB of RAM and a Quadro 2000 with 1GB dedicated memory. This on 64-bit Windows 7.

Showcase 2013 seems to take a while "converting" my Inventor 2011 assemblies.

After watching it convert one, it got to the end and whined about being unable to import one or more files. Not sure what to do about something like that.

It does seem to generate nice renders.

Is it able to output larger size images than what I've done so far: 1920 x 1080? If so, I haven't found that ability.

I realize that it is unrealistic to get up-to-speed via Q&A in this forum, but Showcase looks promising.

Gary Smith
Windows 7sp1 64-bit
nVidia Quadro 2000
Message 20 of 32
LT.Rusty

@gsmith9810 wrote:

To those who have replied to me already thanks!

It appears that we actually have a license for Showcase and I'm now running it on a loaner box. The box has a single Xeon processor running at 3 GHz, 8 GB of RAM and a Quadro 2000 with 1GB dedicated memory. This on 64-bit Windows 7.

Showcase 2013 seems to take a while "converting" my Inventor 2011 assemblies.

After watching it convert one, it got to the end and whined about being unable to import one or more files. Not sure what to do about something like that.

It does seem to generate nice renders.

Is it able to output larger size images than what I've done so far: 1920 x 1080? If so, I haven't found that ability.

I realize that it is unrealistic to get up-to-speed via Q&A in this forum, but Showcase looks promising.

Showcase does take a while to convert stuff, yes.  It takes a while even on my machine.

One thing to be aware of is that Showcase doesn't seem to allow the use of content center parts that you've placed as standard parts.  If you place them as custom, then it's cool.

If you want to render at resolutions other than your current screen resolution, click on Publish (at the bottom of the screen), then Image.   You can set all your options there for rsolution, orientation, etc.

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report