Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
SUDHI.KN
710 Views, 11 Replies

Renaming

Hi,

Kindly suggest me how to rename the files of an assembly without effecting to assembly, as we do it in solidworks explorer.

Reg,

Sudhi

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
japike
in reply to: SUDHI.KN

Open the assembly in Design Assistant. In the "Action" column there is an option to rename files.

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 3 of 12
jletcher
in reply to: SUDHI.KN

Just make sure you read all about design assistants it is your best friend but can be a nightmare. If you don't find all drawings you will have link issues.

I would also suggest making a backup of your files before you start renamiing just in case there is an issue.

And when I do this I make a printout of my files and when I rename I write the new name next to the old name so if I have an issue I know what it was and is..

Message 4 of 12
mflayler2
in reply to: jletcher

Design Assistant is absolutely the way to go if you are not using Vault (which would handle this much better).  Autodesk stopped most development on Design Assistant since you get Vault for free and does so much more.

If you have to use Design Assistant, perhaps do a Hierarchy report out of the DA so you can track the files easier than writing them down.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 5 of 12
jletcher
in reply to: mflayler2

Vault Sucks...............

And the way it sounds if they are not going to develope Design Assistant any further are they about to remove it?

This will be the end of Inventor if so..... I will go back to 2D/3D Autocad........

Message 6 of 12
mflayler2

Vault may not be the right choice for you in your situation, but it certainly does not..."suck", and what it can do is far above what DA does.

I see no reason why they would get rid of DA, at least not for a long time.  Autodesk does understand there are plenty of single users without need for Vault but still need to perform these tasks.  They even added a nice Copy Design routine to Inventor for some basic design itterations (wish the naming scheme settings were better though).

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 7 of 12
jletcher

Vault does suck I have about 100 people that will say it.....

Look at the threads nothing but issues after issues with it....

I know of 3 clients that spent thousands to set it up just for more issues more money. This is why you like it because you make money from it....

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 8 of 12
ampster402

@Anonymous wrote:

Vault does suck I have about 100 people that will say it.....

Look at the threads nothing but issues after issues with it....

I know of 3 clients that spent thousands to set it up just for more issues more money. This is why you like it because you make money from it....

where's the eating popcorn emoticon when ya need it!

Why is this needed?

I think we all know you are not happy with Adesk products and are just itching to leave it behind asap.

Message 9 of 12
mflayler2

I'll give you a 1000 that swear by it to your 100 that complain about it.  Sure, its got issues to it (mostly user related, and a fair share development wise too), but it also becomes a neccesary tool for a lot of companies...small to large.

Message 10 of 12
jletcher

neccesary far from it the only reason it is  neccesary is because Autodesk found no one using it so they forced them to by taking out multi user.. So if they want to work together now you are FORCED to use it...

I found no one needs it unless this is needed and then I have a work around for it.

It sucks and always will I bet your 1000 are bald from the stress fighting vault....

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 11 of 12
mflayler2

Jim,

I'll gladly introduce you to some clients that would gladly tell you how much your thoughts on this matter are actually worth.  Your workaround is still prone to problems just the same...human error.

Multi-User was horrible, don't kid yourself.

No one needs it unless they needed Multi-User?  I have clients that use it just for Copy Designs considering how awful it is in DA and the limitations of iLogic Design Copy.

...and if I had to take a guess I would say only about 5-10% are bald, but only due to genetics.  The majority of companies that understand it and use it correclty don't need help.

Message 12 of 12
jletcher

Ugh I give up..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report