Inventor General Discussion

Contributor
MiSt2047
Message 11 of 34 (424 Views)

Re: renaming parts

07-16-2013 04:23 AM in reply to: harco

> Can you give an example of a program which can rename files while they are open

Pro/Engineer. Since every version I seen from 1997 and forward.

It has always been a paragon of virtue in this regard. The parts and subassemblies in an assembly are the same memoryspace that the parts are, so if you have an assembly open in the background and open and manipulate one of its parts, the changes are transferred to the assembly instantaneously.

This includes renaming parts and subassemblies. Rename a part, and when you switch window to the assembly it is in you see that the name in the tree is changed as well.

Caveat: all assemblies that includes the part must be opened and in memory, and saved to retain the new part name information. Thus it is not much better than Inventor for renaming articles that are used in many different (and possibly unknown) assemblies.

Valued Mentor
SeanFarr
Message 12 of 34 (415 Views)

07-16-2013 05:57 AM in reply to: safiredesignengineers

I do this quite often too, play around with a part, and if I end up using it and it requires a part number to be assigned and cataloged, this is my workflow:

-use the save as option to make a exact duplication of the part and give proper name

-if that part was used in an assembly, I find the "old/bad named part" right click and use component->replace all

-this ensures that all the parts with the bad name is replaced with my newly named part and all work done including

constraints are kept.

- i typically don't have drawings done at this point, because the part was basically a test part, not sure what the

workflow would be for ensuring newly renamed items would keep associativity to drawing views.

Good Luck!

edit: maybe you should make an ideastation thread, get some upvotes for it, I think it would be possible to have a renaming process addin for inventor, to kinda do what I do above. real handy tool to have for sure...

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49
misterkoenig
Message 13 of 34 (170 Views)

09-10-2014 11:34 AM in reply to: harco
Harco,

I'm coming from a Solidworks background. I've used ProE (last time Creo 2.0) as well though we used Windchill for file management which had it's own quirks.

>Can you give an example of a program which can rename files while they are open, this would be contrary to Windows file management would it not.

The functionality in Solidworks is this.
-If you want to "rename" a part that is relatively new you open up the files that reference it (assemblies and drawings) and then open the file you want to change. You do a save as and it updates the references in the open files. Then you simply delete the old file. You can also select "save as copy" which doesn't update the references.

Like inventor you can also change it in windows explorer and then "find" it for the assembly/drawing when you open the upper level drawing.

-Mark
Distinguished Contributor
Mario428
Message 14 of 34 (144 Views)

09-11-2014 03:35 AM in reply to: safiredesignengineers

safiredesignengineers wrote:

hey group

is it possible to simply rename a part?

I quite often make up quick parts to try stuff out and call them random things but if I want to change the name it is not just a simple case of renaming the part as a few things need updating.

is there a simple quick way to rename a part in one hit without going through other stuff?

regards Adrian

Treed, as they say in car forums

Guess I should have finished reading the thread, The SW stick has already been used.

This is one of the things Solidworks does so much better and I was shocked that Inventor made it so difficult. In SW going to an assembly, opening a part and doing a "save as" put the new part in the assembly. "Save as copy" made a new part but did not put the new part in the assy. To my surprise and fustration in Inventor "Save as" and "save as copy" do exactly the same thing.

So what I do now is open the part in question, save as making the changes I need to make and then use component replace to insert the new part into my assembly. This way all the constraints etc stay in place. 

Vault has a rename function but parts have to be checked out, checked in, relaoded, way too much effort

Mentor
pball
Message 15 of 34 (132 Views)

09-11-2014 06:35 AM in reply to: Mario428
I don't know if this feature was around when this thread was created, but at least 2013 and newer have a command called"Save and Replace Component". This command will save a copy of a part and replace it at the same time. This is probably the closest you'll get to renaming a file while inside of an assembly for the time being. The only caveat is if there are multiple instances of part1 lets say, that command will only replace the part you have selected and every other part1 remains unchanged.

I actually created a "Save and Replace All Components" macro if anyone is interested. It does exactly the same thing as the built in command except it replaces all instances of the component.

Of course either of the methods above still have the issue of not affecting anything except the assembly you are working in, since it's not really possible to rename something and have it magically update in everything it was used in (unless you have vault perhaps).
Active Contributor
DevinCurrie
Message 16 of 34 (123 Views)

09-11-2014 08:09 AM in reply to: pball

Do you mind sharing the macro? Thanks!

Mentor
pball
Message 17 of 34 (116 Views)

09-11-2014 08:29 AM in reply to: DevinCurrie

It crossed my mind to add it to my last post, but then I forgot lol. I attached it in a text file so you just need to copy it to your vba project. Simply run the macro and select the part/assembly you wish to save and replace and a save as dialog will appear. Then every instance of said part/assembly will be replaced automatically. Only difference I know of between my script and the built in function is you can not have a part highlighted and run the command, you have to select something after the script is ran. I could fix that but haven't felt the need.

Active Contributor
DevinCurrie
Message 18 of 34 (88 Views)

09-12-2014 10:26 AM in reply to: pball

I have tried the macro and it is working great except for one small thing.. after renaming part/assembly within Inventor, the macro will create a copy of the original file with a new filename. The macro didn't delete the original file.. can you please tweak the code that will remove the original file after successful rename? Thanks again!

Active Contributor
DevinCurrie
Message 19 of 34 (83 Views)

09-12-2014 10:50 AM in reply to: DevinCurrie

FYI

Additional test revealed that renaming part from Content Centre (CC) will work too as long the IPT file is saved to the project folder via "As Custom".

Things began to go awry after replacing the renamed CC part with another CC part (e.g. longer screw).

Distinguished Contributor
Mario428
Message 20 of 34 (81 Views)

09-12-2014 10:52 AM in reply to: DevinCurrie

DevinCurrie wrote:

I have tried the macro and it is working great except for one small thing.. after renaming part/assembly within Inventor, the macro will create a copy of the original file with a new filename. The macro didn't delete the original file.. can you please tweak the code that will remove the original file after successful rename? Thanks again!

Personally I do not want the original file deleted unless I replaced it for a typing error.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.