Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming files 2015

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
valbotany
772 Views, 4 Replies

Renaming files 2015

I have a large assembly with a subassembly that I would like to make a couple different versions of.  I thought I might take the original subassembly and rename it, then make a copy of it to be used as a different version of the same piece of the device, and then substitute in different versions of the files that are inside of the subassembly.

Conceptually, I guess you could say I want to do something like take a clock and making a version that is the same but with some parts inside being green.  I thought I might make a copy of the original clock internals, rename the internals subassembly with "origColor" in the name, and a few parts inside also with "origColor" in their names.  Then a would like to make another set of internals that is the same but with "green" in the name and with a few changes to some parts inside.

Can anyone tell me how to carry out these operations in Inventor 2015?  In the past, it appears that there was something called Design Assistant for this kind of thing, but I do not find it in this new version.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: valbotany

Look in your Start>Programs menu

Design Assistant.png

If you exercised a bit of care - can probably utilize Pack-and-Go for this as well.

Make sure you set up a Project *.ipj for each one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
stephenson513

The easiest way for me is by using a program called design cloner.
http://www.mgfx.co.za/tools-for-inventor.htm

try it out. not to hard to figure it out and its quick and easy once you do.
Message 4 of 5
valbotany
in reply to: JDMather

For some reason I don't have Design Assistant.  I wonder why.  I did a standard installation, and when I try reinstalling I get the same results.

Have you ever heard of this, or have any suggestions for installing it after the fact?

Message 5 of 5
JDMather

Did you install with UAC and anti-virus disabled?

Have you installed Service Pack 1?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report