Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing one part from another to make a mould - where am I going wrong?

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
lalakiross
1655 Views, 13 Replies

Removing one part from another to make a mould - where am I going wrong?

Hi there,

i've attached my model - basically I want to remove the fish shaped component from a solid block so it can be mirrored and CNC milled from an aluminium block to make a prototype fishing lure (Ignore the undercut on the tail).

I've looked at the online videos but the steps taken don't work on my model. I made the lure as a whole and split it in 2 - is this the problem?

I would really appreciate a hand with this one, tearing my hair out.

Thanks in Advance

Ross

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
mflayler2
in reply to: lalakiross

Step 1.  An assembly file is only a container of hyperlinks to your parts.  You need to attach the parts here as well for user investigation.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 3 of 14
lalakiross
in reply to: mflayler2

OK thanks, I've attached them now. I'm still trying various things but Inventor doesn't make it easy :s

Message 4 of 14
mflayler2

1.  Open the Block in context of the assembly for editing (double click it)

2.  Start the Copy Object Tool (Model Tab --> Modify Panel)

3.  Select the Lure part to Copy into the block, use a composite surface

4.  Once the surface is copied in, use Sculpt (Model Tab --> Surface Panel) to subtract the surface from the block

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 5 of 14
lalakiross

While I'm at it, I may as well ask about this as I'll inveitably hit a wall. In the attached assembly, I want to do a moldflow analysis so I need the Hook & Weight and the Tube to become voids in the lure - again what should be a sinmple boolean operation. In Delcam Powershape its simply a case of clicking on the solid and hitting the remove selected solid from active solid button, surely Inventor has a simple method too?

Thanks

Ross

Message 6 of 14
lalakiross

Thank you so much, I feel stupid now - I was along the right lines following the tutorials but was going wrong at the copy object stage.

Again many thanks!!!

Ross Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 14
mflayler2

To your second question and more aptly to your first as well, have you tried using the Inventor Mold tools?  They are mostly for injection molding but contain some tools that might make your life easier.

Message 8 of 14
lalakiross

Hi Mark,

No I haven't tried that feature, I'll have a look. I designed Injection moulding tools on my industrial placement but it was all using Delcam, so my Inventor skills have went wayward. As for the second question, should I take the same steps as the first but use solids instead of surfaces?

Many thanks

Ross

Message 9 of 14
mflayler2

You should be able to use either, I would encourage surfaces though as they are more lightweight on file size and can be easily excluded in drawings.

Message 10 of 14
JDMather

The only way to get access to the mold tools is to start a from Mold.iam template.

Assumes you have Inventor Tooling or Inventor Professional installed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 11 of 14
lalakiross

I'm back again 😮

I've removed the weight and the tube from the body so that when exported to Moldflow, it will show the weld lines, etc around these internal features. The problem is it says the model is thick and chunky, which I agree with and it needs 3D analysis - that parts OK, but it won't allow 3D analysis as it says the model has flaws and won't say what. Does Inventor have a Fix tool that will tell me whats wrong? or can anyone see what it is? - I'm aware of the undercut on the tail but hopefully the software will bypass that?

Thanks for your patience

Ross

Message 12 of 14
JDMather

I noticed that your sketches aren't constrained.
You might start here http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

If you Rebuild All the part has some errors - I think I would start over.

And there are some areas that don't look correct

Fillets.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 13 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

Notice the lack of symmetry in Loft4 feature.

Symmetry.PNG

EESignature

Message 14 of 14
lalakiross

Hi JDMather,

Thanks for your replies. I have remodelled the lure now and am having problems removing the internal components. I have followed the same method as when creating the mould plates. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to work, all I am left with is the internal component - it deletes the lure around it :s Basically i want to have the internal weight and cylinder removed from the lure body so there are hollow pockets for Moldflow analysis.

Any ideas? I've uploaded the new files.

Thanks in Advance

Ross

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums