Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove Radius from content centre UC/UB beams when notch tool is used

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
shmartin89
947 Views, 8 Replies

Remove Radius from content centre UC/UB beams when notch tool is used

Hi Guys,

When using notch tool for 2 UC's in frame generator, inventor seems to retain the radius of the beam where the notch is occuring. Can this be edited or altered?

Would iLogic be the best solution or is there an easier way?

I tend to detail individual par files in drawings and in reality the radius would be removed in this instance.

Thanks,

Sandy

Notch rads.PNG

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Each of the Frame memebers are just part files. You can open them and edit the radii away. Apart from that you could re-author the CC family and customise the notch but I doubt it's worth it.

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 3 of 9

Thanks Brendan,

I have been editing the radii away in each individual part but I was looking for a more efficient method?

I currently operate on a custom content centre so editing parts is not a problem. Could you explain how I would go about customising the notch tool settings?

Thanks,

Sandy

Message 4 of 9
wimann
in reply to: shmartin89

I'm not as sure that editing the notch profile will give you the desired result. There's not a good way for the notch to only cut away the fillet without also cutting out the web in between the fillets. I imagine that you're asking because you're either very detailed oriented personally or you need to lay these beams out on detailed fabrication drawings. Either way, what I'm about to suggest probable wouldn't work as well for what you want but it is, in my opinion, the most effective means to get the result your wanting is to create a new profile that doesn't have any fillets and replace the family template in content center. The obvious issue there is that your radius is gone which makes the beam model inaccurate at that level. Which, if you were to ask me, wouldn't be as big of a deal at my particular work place but I could see that being an issue in others.

Hope this helps.

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 5 of 9
shmartin89
in reply to: wimann

Yeah do allot of item details in fab drawings. What Inventor is doing is correct with notch but from a drawing perspective when the rads. remain without the flanges it is wrong.

I have already done what you have suggested previously. This is also incorrect from a draughting perspective.

Might try some ilogic to fix the the problem,

Thanks

Message 6 of 9
wimann

Yeah you could give it a shot. I'd be willing to bet that there is a way to do that with iLogic/VBA. I just don't know what that might look like. If you find something, be sure to post it here. I'm curious to see for myself but I also know a few others who would really benefit from that information.

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 7 of 9

Here's the linbk to the help section on the Notch. I haven't tried it with these members but have with others. As Will pointed out it may not be acheivalbe with the Notch customisation. Give it a crack and see 🙂

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 8 of 9
yannick3

hi

Here is cut and paste from Autodesk support

the trick is to create custom notch

Since you want to add the notch to an existing Content Center structural member, you have to edit the family using the procedure to 'Replace Family Template File' described in the link below:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-4A9D4539-96B0-43DD-8979-347265936BB8

Since you want to include a notch, there is an extra step you must add after step 3:

3. Change the part as needed, and then, save the part.

3A. Save part with sketch for notch/cop in the base extrusion sketch, Re-author the component using the Manage, Structural Shape Authoring command. Remember to include the notch option in the re-authoring.
Continue with the remaining steps.

Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
Win 7 pro, core i7 950, asus P6T WS
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Message 9 of 9
shmartin89
in reply to: yannick3

Thanks Everyone,

Having briefly played around with iPart and Structural Authoring i dont think this can be achieved using the custom notch alone. When setting the selection of the notch profile in structural authoring I can only select a profle which is defining the base extrusion. There is not a option to select anything else. My thoughts were to create another profile which would perform the notch on the radii. If I create the notch profile on the same plane as the base extrusion the extrusion bodies merge to create a different shape. Im not sure selecting a notch profile outwith the start and end planes will work either.

Perhaps just have to get rid of the radii mannually for now! 😞

Cheers,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report