Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote access to Inventor PC

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1238 Views, 9 Replies

Remote access to Inventor PC

I'm looking into possible solutions for using Inventor from home. Working remotely sounds interesting because it will seemingly eliminate the problems of needing another expensive workstation, licence transfer, and file sync. What issues are there when using a remote access program, like net meeting or windows remote desktop? How important are the processor, RAM, & video card of the remote computer? How "responsive" will INV be compared to using the host computer? Both home and work have high speed internet. Thanks for any advice, Brad
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I know at least one person here uses Go2MyPC.com When we were at AU this year he logged into his machine and it was fast enough to view, measure and move a few parts. Not sure I'd want to work on a large assembly however. They do have a free trial also. -- Sean Dotson, PE (AICE) RND Automation & Engineering sdotson.com mcadforums.com "Bradley Bruns" wrote in message news:420caa0f$1_2@newsprd01... > I'm looking into possible solutions for using Inventor from home. Working > remotely sounds interesting because it will seemingly eliminate the problems > of needing another expensive workstation, licence transfer, and file sync. > > What issues are there when using a remote access program, like net meeting > or windows remote desktop? How important are the processor, RAM, & video > card of the remote computer? How "responsive" will INV be compared to using > the host computer? Both home and work have high speed internet. > > Thanks for any advice, > > Brad > >
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

So you're saying that there is a speed decrease? In the example you mentioned, do you know if the internet connections were dial up or high speed? The typical work load for me is creating, assembling, and fully detailng an inspection fixture, 20-200 machined parts. Bigger than "training" stuff but not a 5000 part assembly. Thanks -Brad "Sean Dotson" wrote in message news:420cac27$1_3@newsprd01... > I know at least one person here uses Go2MyPC.com When we were at AU this > year he logged into his machine and it was fast enough to view, measure and > move a few parts. Not sure I'd want to work on a large assembly however. > > They do have a free trial also. > > -- > Sean Dotson, PE (AICE) > RND Automation & Engineering > sdotson.com mcadforums.com > > > "Bradley Bruns" wrote in message > news:420caa0f$1_2@newsprd01... > > I'm looking into possible solutions for using Inventor from home. Working > > remotely sounds interesting because it will seemingly eliminate the > problems > > of needing another expensive workstation, licence transfer, and file sync. > > > > What issues are there when using a remote access program, like net meeting > > or windows remote desktop? How important are the processor, RAM, & video > > card of the remote computer? How "responsive" will INV be compared to > using > > the host computer? Both home and work have high speed internet. > > > > Thanks for any advice, > > > > Brad > > > > > >
Message 4 of 10
brian.cranston

I use REALVNC for remote control of our Inventor workstations. Instead of dragging our workstations to the conference room for design reviews, we use REALVNC to remote control. I've been using it for 8 years. It started out years ago as WinVNC at AT&T Laboratories in Cambridge. It consists of a server and client program. You can even install the server portion as a NT service. There are clients for about any operating system out there. The best part is that it's free and the whole thing fits on a floppy disk. They have started to commercially develop it but there is still a free version.

www.realvnc.com

-Brian C.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

In the example above it was broadband. -- Sean Dotson, PE (AICE) RND Automation & Engineering sdotson.com mcadforums.com "Bradley Bruns" wrote in message news:420cb29f$1_1@newsprd01... > So you're saying that there is a speed decrease? In the example you > mentioned, do you know if the internet connections were dial up or high > speed? > > The typical work load for me is creating, assembling, and fully detailng an > inspection fixture, 20-200 machined parts. Bigger than "training" stuff but > not a 5000 part assembly. > > Thanks > -Brad > > > "Sean Dotson" wrote in message > news:420cac27$1_3@newsprd01... > > I know at least one person here uses Go2MyPC.com When we were at AU this > > year he logged into his machine and it was fast enough to view, measure > and > > move a few parts. Not sure I'd want to work on a large assembly however. > > > > They do have a free trial also. > > > > -- > > Sean Dotson, PE (AICE) > > RND Automation & Engineering > > sdotson.com mcadforums.com > > > > > > "Bradley Bruns" wrote in message > > news:420caa0f$1_2@newsprd01... > > > I'm looking into possible solutions for using Inventor from home. > Working > > > remotely sounds interesting because it will seemingly eliminate the > > problems > > > of needing another expensive workstation, licence transfer, and file > sync. > > > > > > What issues are there when using a remote access program, like net > meeting > > > or windows remote desktop? How important are the processor, RAM, & > video > > > card of the remote computer? How "responsive" will INV be compared to > > using > > > the host computer? Both home and work have high speed internet. > > > > > > Thanks for any advice, > > > > > > Brad > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

I have used TightVNC for a number of years. If I just need a quick check of something I will fire up Inventor on the remote system, but if I need to do any work at all, I will just fire up the email program and email the Inventor file to the local machine. ;~) -- Kent Keller http://www.KWiKMcad.com Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator "cranston" wrote in message news:32900921.1108129753290.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... >I use REALVNC for remote control of our Inventor workstations. Instead >of dragging our workstations to the conference room for design reviews, >we use REALVNC to remote control. I've been using it for 8 years. It >started out years ago as WinVNC at AT&T Laboratories in Cambridge. It >consists of a server and client program. You can even install the >server portion as a NT service. There are clients for about any >operating system out there. The best part is that it's free and the >whole thing fits on a floppy disk. They have started to commercially >develop it but there is still a free version. > > www.realvnc.com > > -Brian C.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

I've accessed my workstation through our conference room computer with a remote desktop connection. The screen doesn't update as fast as you would probably like, but IV is still moving along as fast as usual. I haven't tried it yet from home, because I'm not sure I want to provide a way in to the network at this point. If you do set that up you can log into your workstation (and the vault from there) or if you use your home computer to run IV, you can log into the vault and check files out from home. Either way, that would take care of the file transfer problems. You also don't have to worry about transferring a license. IV allows two simultaneous installations for each seat, without transferring anything. "Bradley Bruns" wrote in message news:420cb29f$1_1@newsprd01... > So you're saying that there is a speed decrease? In the example you > mentioned, do you know if the internet connections were dial up or high > speed? > > The typical work load for me is creating, assembling, and fully detailng > an > inspection fixture, 20-200 machined parts. Bigger than "training" stuff > but > not a 5000 part assembly. > > Thanks > -Brad > > > "Sean Dotson" wrote in message > news:420cac27$1_3@newsprd01... >> I know at least one person here uses Go2MyPC.com When we were at AU this >> year he logged into his machine and it was fast enough to view, measure > and >> move a few parts. Not sure I'd want to work on a large assembly however. >> >> They do have a free trial also. >> >> -- >> Sean Dotson, PE (AICE) >> RND Automation & Engineering >> sdotson.com mcadforums.com >> >> >> "Bradley Bruns" wrote in message >> news:420caa0f$1_2@newsprd01... >> > I'm looking into possible solutions for using Inventor from home. > Working >> > remotely sounds interesting because it will seemingly eliminate the >> problems >> > of needing another expensive workstation, licence transfer, and file > sync. >> > >> > What issues are there when using a remote access program, like net > meeting >> > or windows remote desktop? How important are the processor, RAM, & > video >> > card of the remote computer? How "responsive" will INV be compared to >> using >> > the host computer? Both home and work have high speed internet. >> > >> > Thanks for any advice, >> > >> > Brad >> > >> > >> >> > >
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

I have used WinVNC and currently use pcAnywhere over a DSL connection. There is a lack of response time due to internet lag. It takes getting used to the lag time on all the commands. IV runs normally. The other problem area is, if you are used to using a 3D controller like a spaceball, they do not work over the remote connection. My home machine is a 600 MHz P3 with 512M of RAM. Bradley Bruns wrote: > I'm looking into possible solutions for using Inventor from home. Working > remotely sounds interesting because it will seemingly eliminate the problems > of needing another expensive workstation, licence transfer, and file sync. > > What issues are there when using a remote access program, like net meeting > or windows remote desktop? How important are the processor, RAM, & video > card of the remote computer? How "responsive" will INV be compared to using > the host computer? Both home and work have high speed internet. > > Thanks for any advice, > > Brad > > -- Hal Gwin Mechanical Designer Xenogen R9 Pro SP2 XP Pro SP2 Dell Precision 650 Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon 1.5 GB DDR Quadro4 900 XGL nVidia 6.14.10.6176 w/registry update Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD
Message 9 of 10
WalkerRA

I use a VPN connection with DSL at work and Cable at home. After logging in to the the VPN box, I just do a remote desktop connection and log on to my machine. From there, I can remotely run desktop app's with little problem. Excel, Word, QBooks, Outlook - all run with a little lag, but they run. In addition, I can access network shares from the remote machine for file copying.

IV will run ok, but the graphics lag is too much to be productive. I usually zip files and copy them if I'm trying to accomplish any real work.

The biggest bottleneck is the upload speed from my office.

-Russ
Message 10 of 10
chrispeterson

Network bandwidth is an important criterion for remotely accessing computers. I would recommend deploying on premise RHUB remote support appliances www.rhubcom.com for remotely accessing computers. It occupies optimum bandwidth, hence provides good speed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report