Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Release fixity in FEA

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
UlviEng
280 Views, 3 Replies

Release fixity in FEA

Hi All,
I have recently created an access platform (picture is attached) and run a structural analysis through FEA machine.

I actually run the analysis twice. In first occasion, I run it without handrails (which were merged with parent structure with bolt connection) to analyse only primary structure. Then repeated it with involvement of hand rails (bonded type contacts were used) where it reduced the stress on primary structure, cause, the handrails added some strength on the it.
Turning to the question: Is there any possibilities to release fixity of handrails and to use it only transforming the applied load??? I guess it can be achieved thanks to playing with contacts??
Thanking you,
Ulvi

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
admaiora
in reply to: UlviEng

Hi Ulvi,

if you are using Frame Analysis you can use the  Release tool on beams

es.gif

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 4
UlviEng
in reply to: admaiora

Hi Admaiora,

Many thanks for reverting back on this but this is not what I am looking for. I have some bolted connections involved here in the structure and would like to see their attitude on the overall picture as well. So I have to go with FEA.
Isnt there any possibility if we can alter the contract conditions and achieve our goal?

Cheers

Message 4 of 4
raviburla
in reply to: UlviEng

Hi,

If I understand the requirement correctly, you want to do the following:

1. The handrails should only act as load-transferring entities. 

2. There is no interest in the deformation/stresses of the handrails.

3. However, the stress/deformation behavior of the primary structure is very important.

One possible (assuming that bolts are being modeled and meshed) way would be to supress the contacts between the handrails and the structure. But the contacts between the bolts and handrails ; bolts and structure are still in-place. This way, the force gets transferred from the handrails->bolts->structure. Please see the attached assembly for example.  Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Ravi Burla

Ravi Burla
Sr. Principal Research Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report