Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstallation IV 2015

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Uziemblo_U
275 Views, 5 Replies

Reinstallation IV 2015

Hi to all,

I'm in front of the problem:

I have to change C: drive (need a bigger one)

I have installed IV2015 w/ home use serial number

after changing drive, and installing Windows7 I have to reinstall all my programs

does Inventor accept old serial number (second time)

or I have to ask Autodesk for new one

I wish to know before I start changes

Thanks 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: Uziemblo_U

@Uziemblo_U wrote:

I wish to know before I start changes

Thanks 

Stop!  Make sure you understand the process before you do anything (most people come here after-the-fact and are now in a bind as they have used up their activations).

License Transfer Utility.png

I have never had used this - so wait for someone who has, to come along and provide more information.

I think by properly using the License Transfer Utility you avoid the 2-Activations limit.

In general,

Each Serial Number can be activated twice (should only one instance be running at a time).

When Activating a license your computer sends a combination of the SN and a hardware generated code (Activation Request Code) to Autodesk, which returns an Activation Code specific to that hardware.  So even changing a HDD requires a new Activation Code.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

The license transfer utility will upload your license to Autodesk, after you install on the new hard drive, run the utility again to import to the new install.

You have to have an Autodesk account to do this.

Message 4 of 6
dgorsman

In addition to the other comments, it's important to get the terminology right.  A serial number will stay the same, no matter how many times you activate.  The serial number may change when you receive a new version or purchase an additional stand-alone license but not for moving one license to a different computer.  The activation code will change from computer to computer, even if you change certain hardware (like your hard drive), but with the license transfer utility there is no need to re-activate.  Activations are tracked and if you try to activate the same license several times the automated activation will be put on hold while AutoDesk confirms that you are following the license agreement.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 6
Uziemblo_U
in reply to: dgorsman

Thanks to all of you for answers

Message 6 of 6
CESAR200

This online article may be of help:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/article/Online-License-Transfer-FAQs

Cesar Valencia
Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report