Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reference in 2D drawings

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
di_orloga
318 Views, 5 Replies

Reference in 2D drawings

Hi!

Does anybody know if we could put for example the Building of our Assembly in some 2D drawings as a "Reference" object and as a non reference object in other 2D drawings?

In some 2D drawings we don't need the whole building, and just with the references is enough, but in some other views, we need to see the building so we can represent the real obstacles we have or to show how the custumer should do the pipe implantation

Thx!!!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ic198
in reply to: di_orloga

One method that might work:

In your assembly, create 3 View representations and 1 new Positional representation.

Set up the view representations as 1) with all parts, 2) with the building only, 3) with the pipes.

In the views where you want all parts shown, create your view using 1).

In the views where you want the building as a reference, create your view using 3). Then put an Overlay view on this view using 2).

You can ignore the Positional representations, except that Inventor won't let you create an Overlay unless you have one.

Hope this all makes sense!

Message 3 of 6
jtylerbc

I ran across something similar myself yesterday.  You can't have a component as Reference in one assembly and not reference in another.  Once you've changed the BOM structure to Reference in one place, that component changes to Reference everywhere. 

If you have different assemblies for these two different drawings, what I would suggest is demoting the component into a subassembly in the assembly where you need it as reference.  You could name this new sub something like "Building Reference."  Then set that sub as Reference.  In the other assembly where the building is not pushed down into a subassembly, leave it set as Normal.

If you're using the same assembly for both drawings, you could do the same thing, except have BOTH the demoted, Reference building and the Normal building in the assembly.  You can then use View Representations to turn their visibility on and off as needed for each drawing.

Message 4 of 6
di_orloga
in reply to: jtylerbc

Thank you very much for the fast answer.

We have been talking and we have decided to put the building in two different assemblys and depending what we want to show, we will use one or the other using a level of detail.

Thank you!

Message 5 of 6
mrattray

Are you using different top level assemblies for the drawings? If so, you can just right click on the building in the assembly you need it to be reference in and override the BOM structure to reference. This wont effect the other assembly.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 6
jtylerbc
in reply to: mrattray

@mrattray wrote:
Are you using different top level assemblies for the drawings? If so, you can just right click on the building in the assembly you need it to be reference in and override the BOM structure to reference. This wont effect the other assembly.

Indeed, Mike is right.  I hadn't dealt with this situation for a while, and was forgetting that there was a difference between right-clicking the instance and actually changing the BOM Structure in the BOM window.

We ended up figuring this out ourselves on my case yesterday, but I forgot to come back here and post a correction.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report