Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Contributor
msujcrew1
Message 1 of 4 (19 Views)

reference files

19 Views, 3 Replies
11-12-2004 10:01 AM
i have inventor 8. in mechanical desktop, you can open up an assembly, go into catalog, and change a certain part to point to another file, replacing the original part. how do i do this in inventor?

i have an assembly, with several parts, but i drew another part that is similiar to one of those parts that are in the assembly. i want to keep both parts, because we make both, but i want the assembly to xref to the new part and not the older one. any information on this would be greatly appreciated.
*Howard Delano
Message 2 of 4 (19 Views)

Re: reference files

11-12-2004 10:39 AM in reply to: msujcrew1
In the browser pane, right click on the part you don't want in your assembly, select "Replace Component" and browse to the one you do want and select it. Double-click or "open" it, "msujcrew1" wrote in message news:29040273.1100282529694.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > i have inventor 8. in mechanical desktop, you can open up an assembly, go into catalog, and change a certain part to point to another file, replacing the original part. how do i do this in inventor? > > i have an assembly, with several parts, but i drew another part that is similiar to one of those parts that are in the assembly. i want to keep both parts, because we make both, but i want the assembly to xref to the new part and not the older one. any information on this would be greatly appreciated.
Distinguished Contributor
orchdes
Message 3 of 4 (19 Views)

11-12-2004 10:41 AM in reply to: msujcrew1
RMB on part and select replace component. If you want to keep the other part in your assy just place the new part in your assy and set up a design view for it.
Contributor
msujcrew1
Message 4 of 4 (19 Views)

11-12-2004 11:33 AM in reply to: msujcrew1
thanks.
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.