Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reference files

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
msujcrew1
109 Views, 3 Replies

reference files

i have inventor 8. in mechanical desktop, you can open up an assembly, go into catalog, and change a certain part to point to another file, replacing the original part. how do i do this in inventor?

i have an assembly, with several parts, but i drew another part that is similiar to one of those parts that are in the assembly. i want to keep both parts, because we make both, but i want the assembly to xref to the new part and not the older one. any information on this would be greatly appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: msujcrew1

In the browser pane, right click on the part you don't want in your assembly, select "Replace Component" and browse to the one you do want and select it. Double-click or "open" it, "msujcrew1" wrote in message news:29040273.1100282529694.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > i have inventor 8. in mechanical desktop, you can open up an assembly, go into catalog, and change a certain part to point to another file, replacing the original part. how do i do this in inventor? > > i have an assembly, with several parts, but i drew another part that is similiar to one of those parts that are in the assembly. i want to keep both parts, because we make both, but i want the assembly to xref to the new part and not the older one. any information on this would be greatly appreciated.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

RMB on part and select replace component. If you want to keep the other part in your assy just place the new part in your assy and set up a design view for it.
Message 4 of 4
msujcrew1

thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report