Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reducing the file size/complexity of an IPT

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
RobertWK
2520 Views, 5 Replies

Reducing the file size/complexity of an IPT

Originally I had a 3D surface model of one of our parts, but it caused issues when I was placing it in an assembly (it would fail to be drawn completely), even though it would exist still as an item in the tree.

I brought it up to our parent company and they sent me an IPT of the part, but it clocks in at 32 megabytes (MB) when uncompressed, and realistically I don't want to use it in its current state.

I can't shrinkwrap it since it's not an assembly, but I still need to reduce the footprint/file size of it, even though it is only at 1/1; I'd rather not upload a 32 meg model into our vault and since I have variations of it with different descriptions, have N x 32 MB taken up on the server space.

Anyone have any suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: RobertWK

Do you need to retain the feature tree for later modification?

If not..You might try saving as step or iges file.

Can the part be modeled better or the complexity reduced to show only what you need?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 6
RobertWK
in reply to: mcgyvr

There's no tree.  The part I received is already derived.

Message 4 of 6
salariua

If it's being done as surface you need to right click on the drawing view (browser) and mark Include Surfaces to get it to show up in the drawing.

Vault get's all types of files so maybe you want to consider checking it in zipped.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 5 of 6
4donwan4

Not sure as to what can be suggested. I would contact whoever you worked with again and see if they can reattempt to export file at smaller size, STEP, SAT maybe. If the source file was originally some type of translation then it just might be compounding things. You can run the file through Task Scheduler found in the tools fly out of the program group on the start bar. Choose the option Total Rebuild and Compact model History options. Not sure if that will help or not?

Regards,

Don

Message 6 of 6
The_Angry_Elf

Run it thru Task Manager's Migration command. Select the options of Total Rebuild and Compact Model (or is it Compress Model?).

I just ran a test part thru the process where the part was at 492.50 kb prior and then at 84 kb after the process.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report