Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reducing file size...

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
bengee54
2001 Views, 29 Replies

Reducing file size...

hi,
I am in the process of creating a template file. The file is to have numerous images around the border (see attached).

here's my problem; i've created the images in AutoCAD Mech 2014 and Inventor. When I originally saved the file I found the file size to be 12.5MB - this seems hideously large and will only become larger when all the image boxes (on attached) are filled. From unlinking the files and embeddng tiff images of the views, this reduced to 4.5MB - still quite large.

The tiff images are quite poor and unlike anything that should be on an engineering drawing. Is there a way to produce what I want with clear, clean, crisp vews/images, at a more manageable file size?

Any suggestions would be most welcomed.

Thanks, Ben

29 REPLIES 29
Message 21 of 30
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: bengee5454

Attached is the Title block that I managed to clean up. Recreate the template and insert this as a block. I dont know how you insert the block but dont do it like that again.

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 22 of 30
bengee5454
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

thank ou. i will give it a try
Message 23 of 30
bengee5454

Now bear with me, for i have never ever created a template from scratch (i'm ashamed as i've been using CAD for 10+ years!)
I started a 'new' file, selected the iso option.
pagesetup: A1
copy/paste border

now i expected the border to be the correct size but i find it far too small.

am i doing something wrong/stupid....or both?
Message 24 of 30
JoAnn_Hogan

Have you used the Page Setup Manager to set your page?

Do not copy and paste the border, rather insert the border as a block. 

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 25 of 30
bengee5454

I believe that I have found the problem (well.....more like, I was told the reason!).

I created the drawing intially in Inventor, then just reopened in AutoCAD Mech 2014. It was pointed out that this is not the correct way of doing things. Instead I should export as ACAD dwg.

I had to create a new configuration setting and started with a clean sheet. then went through pagesetupmanager as you suggested. The file size is now down (for sheet 2) to 326KB - which is a lot better!

I exported sht 1 as well in the same manner, but the size of this is still quite high (1MB), but I'm willing to go with what i've got now......unless there are any easy ways.......

Thank you for your help and patience

Message 26 of 30
JoAnn_Hogan

When you make your drawings in Inventor, instead of using the .idw file type for your drawings, use the .dwg file type. This will allow you to open the drawings in AutoCAD and make the relevant changes. Then you do not have to export the drawing.

In earlier versions the issue with the .dwg format was that it didnt update when you make changes in Inventor. But that has been fixed. So now you can open the drawing in AutoCAD and if you make changes to the model/drawing in Inventor it will automatically update.

Jo - Ann
Message 27 of 30
bengee5454

I have never been a fan of the idw format, when I first started using IV thats one of the first thing I changed......dwg all the way!

One of our CAD support engineers told me that there are still slight differences between AutoCAD and Inventor.

When I now combine sht 1 & 2 of the template, the file size (should) be 1065+326=1391KB.....which isnt that excessive.

but i'm still puzzled why sht 1 is 3 times the size of sht 2, when i doesnt have half the detail!

Message 28 of 30
JoAnn_Hogan

And what is the file size when you export the drawing?

Jo - Ann
Message 29 of 30
bengee5454

the 1065kb is the size

Message 30 of 30
JoAnn_Hogan

Then I would suggest using the export option. But I doubt that it will keep all the links if you have exported it

Jo - Ann

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report