Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rectangular pattern

26 REPLIES 26
SOLVED
Message 1 of 27
arrush80
1262 Views, 26 Replies

rectangular pattern

Good morning,

I am trying to find a way to make a hole pattern along a curve, but the problem is my pattern is not a curve but rather a path along a precise angled path. Inventor does not seem to want to acknoledge this as a path aside for the first segment. Any suggestions would be appricaited.

Capture.JPG

26 REPLIES 26
Message 21 of 27
JDMather
in reply to: arrush80

Now that I see where you are going with this - I think there might be an easier solution.

What you really have are 2 true Rectangular Patterns.

Here is a example I did in another CAD program.

See if you can reproduce in Inventor (if you can't, I'll give it a try).

Hole Pattern.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 22 of 27
arrush80
in reply to: JDMather

Here is a pattern I am after, as you can see the holes have to  fit within the round plate and if they do not fit must be removable ( can not have partial holes as in your example) There are also other features that pop up so the ability to remove individual holes to make room for these features is paramount. I want to be able to constrain it so the pattern angle (30 deg in this case) , hole spacing and dia can be updated with the need to update as few features as possible. 

You've already spent enough time on this, so if nothing comes to you right away do not worry. I am actually a very new Inventor user (training booked for next week) and we have a consultant coming in next month to figure all this out with me, at this point I'm just trying to get ahead of the game.

Capture.JPG

Message 23 of 27
JDMather

( can not have partial holes as in your example) There are also other features that pop up so the ability to remove individual holes to make room for these features is ...

Delete Face with Heal

or

Suppress instance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 24 of 27
JDMather

@arrush80 wrote:

.. we have a consultant coming in next month to figure all this out with me, at this point I'm just trying to get ahead of the game.

You will get the most out of this if you go through these.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/p/inventor-tutorials.html
http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/enu?adskContextId=HELP_TUTORIALS&language=ENU&release=2014&product=Inve...

Message 25 of 27
BLHDrafting

Here is a link to an iLogic approach to keeping a pattern inside a boundary. There are a few caveats so read the entire text before applying. I've used this a few times to make perforated screens with odd shaped boundaries. It's great! Cheers.

http://www.cadlinecommunity.co.uk/Blogs/Blog.aspx?ScoId=43d32ea9-aba1-43a2-b7a5-e992c051a21c

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 26 of 27
arrush80
in reply to: BLHDrafting

This would be perfect, but this only works on a hole feature where my shape is actually a revolve as I have additional geometry outside of just the hole 😞
Message 27 of 27
CAG_DRAFT
in reply to: BLHDrafting

Thats a great tip, I'm surprised I didn't find it when I was last doing some perf sheets.

(the last method I used was basically to model a fully punched sheet, then trim off outside the perf area i want (across any holes), and finally re-extrude/face the border area onto the jagged edge shape I had just cutout.

it works but it's not the nicest workflow, and I would just like to add that I hate how inventor totally bogs down with large patterns.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report