Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended graphics card for Inventor 2015

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Rbax2014
6576 Views, 9 Replies

Recommended graphics card for Inventor 2015

I need a new graphics card for 64 bit system running autocad premium suite.  Im running inventor 2015 and 3dmax.  Anyone have any sugestions on what card I should get in the range of $400-$1000 us dollars. 

So I thought this would be simple but it seems it very hard to determine.  even on this site it makes no since to me card generations 2011 seems like a very old card and fermi i have no clue. I dont just want to pic 700 dollar card because it cost more.  I would like to be able to use more of the surface textures, lighting, reflections. There must be a good card in the range im looking.

thanks,

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Jacob_Butler
in reply to: Rbax2014

There is such a wide variety it's hard to recommend a certain card. Get a decent gaming card it will do great as Inventor. I would probably look for one with direct x support and ~2g of memory. Should run you around 200 - 400 dollars. Something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202080&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KN... looks pretty decent.

FWIW.. I run an Nvidia GTX 770 without any problems..

Just pick a good "gaming" card.. No need for OpenGL/CAD specific cards IMO..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 10
LT.Rusty
in reply to: Jacob_Butler

@Jacob_Butler wrote:

There is such a wide variety it's hard to recommend a certain card. Get a decent gaming card it will do great as Inventor. I would probably look for one with direct x support and ~2g of memory. Should run you around 200 - 400 dollars. Something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202080&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KN... looks pretty decent.

Jesus, I wish that card had been that price last summer when I bought my new card ... I got a Sapphire R9-270X w/4GB, and it's working out just fine but still, I'd have preferred to get that one instead.

But - yes, just get any decent gaming card, you'll be fine.  Don't waste your time and money on Quadro or FirePro for running Inventor. 

Rusty

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
Rbax2014
in reply to: LT.Rusty

thanks so much for the information.  I will look for high end gaming card. 

you guys are great!!

Message 6 of 10
sam_m

As far as Inventor is concerned, a gaming card will be fine.  ATI/AMD cards used to cause a few more problems than Nvidia, but I think those days are behind us - saying this, if I was to spec a pc today I'd go with the GTX 970 for performance/price or the GTX 980 if I had more cash to play with.

But, this is just Inventor...

If you're also using 3d Max then I'd check what it needs - it could be a lot more fussy...

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 7 of 10
dgorsman

Use 3DSMAX as your baseline for requirements, since it allows for extended use of the video card (e.g. GPU rendering).  Anything which supports that program should perform at *least* adequately for Inventor.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 10
The_Angry_Elf

Don't guess, reference AutoDesk's certified hardware page: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?id=18844534&siteID=123112

Things may have changed recently but I've been bitten big time on the "go with the best gaming card" route. I've always stayed with a CAD specific card and never had any issues....unlike those I've seen and dealt with for gaming cards.....just saying.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 9 of 10
mcgyvr
in reply to: The_Angry_Elf

@joflaherty wrote:

Don't guess, reference AutoDesk's certified hardware page: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?id=18844534&siteID=123112

Things may have changed recently but I've been bitten big time on the "go with the best gaming card" route. I've always stayed with a CAD specific card and never had any issues....unlike those I've seen and dealt with for gaming cards.....just saying.

And for every person I've seen that has said that, there is another that has followed Autodesks list and HAS had problems with the supposed "certified" drivers..

There are just too many of us using "gaming cards" without any issues.. In fact I've seen/heard more issues with cards on that list than those not. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 10 of 10
Rbax2014
in reply to: mcgyvr

thanks for all the help and input everyone

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report