Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuild time comparison - volunteers wanted for 5 mins

47 REPLIES 47
Message 1 of 48
stevec781
2784 Views, 47 Replies

Rebuild time comparison - volunteers wanted for 5 mins

In my quest to find out how much machine specs can improve rebuild speeds I thought I would make a challenging part and see if anyone would be interested in comparing rebuild times.

Under the sweep edit sketch5 and change the dimension of 30 to 40.  See how long it takes to rebuild after you press finish sketch.

My machine takes 24 seconds in both 2011 & 2012.

Specs are

Windows XP64

Duo Core E8400 3.0 GHz

8Gb ram

Quadro FX 570 card.

Thanks.

47 REPLIES 47
Message 2 of 48
blair
in reply to: stevec781

I get 17 seconds.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 48
mrattray
in reply to: blair

18 seconds.

IV 2012 Sp1

Windows 7 x64

i-5 3.1ghz

8 gb ram

AMD Radeon HD 6670

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 48
stevec781
in reply to: mrattray

Thanks guys, the I5 has a similar speed so maybe win7 is afactor there, but maybe its cache or something else as well.

I just over clocked to 3.41Ghz and am at 19 sec now.

Message 5 of 48
mrattray

Don't forget that IV only uses one core. My quad core basically runs IV at 1/4 strength (3.1/4~750Mhz).  I assume a "Duo Core" is dual, that means your running about twice as fast as me, at least as far as rebuilding in IV goes.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 48
blair

It comes down to the clock speed of a single core in the CPU when dealing with IPT and IAM files. If you could get a really fast single core CPU for IPT and IAM files, it would be all you need.

IDW creation with IV2012 does take advantage of multi cores, FEA and Studio also take advantage of multi CPU cores.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 48
markc-uk

Thought I'd have a go at this.

I'm using Inventor 2012 SP1 on windows 7 64 bit on bootcamp.

The machine is a 2011 iMac; Intel core i7 quad core 2.8 Ghz with 4Gb ram.

I got a shade under 15 seconds.

MarkC

Message 8 of 48
swalton
in reply to: mrattray

Minor nitpick: each core runs at full clock speed.  So IV is using 1 core at 3.1 GHz.  You have 3 cores at 3.1 GHz for all the work you can do while waiting for IV to finish calculating.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 9 of 48
mcgyvr
in reply to: swalton

18.4 seconds

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 10 of 48
coreyparks
in reply to: markc-uk

18.5 seconds here Intel Xeon Processor W3530 @ 2.80Ghz

Pretty sad when the Mac beats us all, lol.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 11 of 48
blair

16.5 seconds on my home machine.

No overclocking, all standard settings.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 48
PACDrafting

16 secs.

Win 7 64 Bit

8G RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 560 Ti Video Card

Intel Core i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30 GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores(s)

128G SSD OCZ-VERTEX2 ATA Device

1T SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device 

Message 13 of 48
PACDrafting

Press the Rebuiild All button.

Do you get errors?

Message 14 of 48
SBix26

Home computer:

Windows 7 64-bit SP1

Athlon 64 3200+ 2.00 GHz (single core, five years old)

6 GB DDR2 RAM @ 800MHz

Radeon HD 5670, 512 MB DDR5

Inventor 2012 SP1: 44 seconds

Inventor ?: 40 seconds

Work computer, operating locally at home, but with design data, license and other projects located on work server, specs in my signature below:

Inventor 2012 SP1: 26 seconds

Odd difference that I noticed in trying this on two different computers: on my work computer, it took as long or longer to re-solve the sketch after changing the dimension as it did to rebuild the part when I finished the sketch; on my home computer, the re-solve was to all appearances instantaneous.

Message 15 of 48
stevec781
in reply to: SBix26

I am new to overclocking so stopped at 3.56Ghz as that takes the ram to 800 and my ram is 800 so not game to go any faster.  Temps and volts are fine so going to stay at this overclock.  Still at 19 sec's tho.  Tried with the GTX 560 card no change.

I dont get rebuild error but I'll bet it's the workplane.  Whenever I create a workplane by selecting a projected 3D curve and its end point it fails randomly.  In one file 3 update fine, two fall over.  I have submitted a sample to my VAR, but no response yet. 

I was hoping there would be a machine out there that would get under 5 sec but some of those specs are pretty good.  So it looks like I have found my bottle neck.  Although simpler, I have lots of sweeps that use normal to surface option.  So until we get multi core processing or significanlty faster CPU's it's going ot come down to workflow. (looks like Windows 7 might also take a couple of seconds off)

Its been an interesting test, thanks to everyone that participated.

Message 16 of 48
jeanchile

It sounded like this was sort of over but I was curious and this looked fun so.... 10.6 seconds FYI. (Desktop)

Inventor Professional
Message 17 of 48
rhinterhoeller
in reply to: jeanchile

Desktop

64 bit Win 7 Ultimate SP1

Xeon quad 3.20 GHz

12 Gb RAM

AIP 2012 SP1

19 sec

Laptop (not intended for IV use)

64 bit Win 7 Home Premium SP1

Intel quad Core i3 @2.20 GHz

4 Gb RAM

25 sec

AIP 2012 SP1

IV 2013 Product Design Suite 64 Bit
Win 7 64 bit
Message 18 of 48
stevec781
in reply to: jeanchile

@jeanchile wrote:

It sounded like this was sort of over but I was curious and this looked fun so.... 10.6 seconds FYI. (Desktop)

No not over at all, the more results we get the better for helping us all (and hopefully Autodesk if they are watching) get the most out of our systems.  Interesting that your i7 smashes the others, then I notice every one else is using 2012.  Makes me wonder.

My overclock is faster but I am still heaps slower, so either there is more to the processors than just speed, or win 7 is that much better than XP.  And the laptop at 2.2Ghz is close to mine at 3Ghz.  Again Win7.

I might have to bite the bullet and upgrade to Win7, but the thought of finding my disks and reinstalling everything else doesnt excite me.

Message 19 of 48
jeanchile

I noticed my video card drivers were slightly out of date so I updated them and ran again.... 11.1 seconds Smiley Sad.

Then I tried my laptop and got 23.0 seconds... Smiley SadSmiley SadSmiley Sad

When I was looking for a new machine last year (the one I have now) I found this post interesting: http://ellipsis-autodesk.typepad.com/blog/2010/06/more-hardware-spec-goodness.html

Inventor Professional
Message 20 of 48
MikahB

25 seconds on my laptop.

This is a great thread because it now gives me DATA that says it's time for a new workstation.

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report