Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading Inventor 10 files in Inventor 11

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
tlepird
1291 Views, 14 Replies

Reading Inventor 10 files in Inventor 11

November 24, 2010

Here is a description of my problem and questions I have about Inventor 11.

Installed Inventor 11 under Windows 7 recently and now can’t read Inventor 10 (non-Vault) part or assembly files or anything else. I can generate new files in Inventor 11 but can’t open any prior versions. Every time I attempt to open an Inventor 10 created (non- Vault) file, I get the following error message: DATABASE SCHEMA IS NEWER THAN THIS VERSION OF SOFTWARE.  To me this error message does not make any sense. I am using the latest version of the software, so what is it really trying to tell me?  I understand why you can’t open files created in Inventor 11 in prior versions, but this makes no sense at all. I have tried using the Task Manager program to migrate the Inventor 10 files to Inventor 11 format. Task Manager starts and after I submit a file to be migrated all it does is preprocess the file and stops. Nothing gets converted.

Questions:

1. I need to know if it is necessary to migrate all prior version (non-Vault) part & assembly files before they can be opened and edited in Inventor 11?
  2. Why doesn’t the Task Manager work to migrate files.
  3. Does all prior release files need to be inside the Vault environment before they can be migrated?

Please help……………………….

Laserman

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
BMiller63
in reply to: tlepird

have you tried to use the Task Scheduler to migrate (a copy of)  the Inventor 10 files to Inventor 11 format?

Nevermind, I see I missed that in your post.

Maybe post a couple of the files for others to test.

Message 3 of 15
Dennis_Jeffrey

DATABASE SCHEMA IS NEWER THAN THIS VERSION OF SOFTWARE.  

1. You are apparently trying to open Inventor 2010 ( not R10) files which will not work as IV2010 is a later version.

2. Inventor 11 is not supported on Windows 7.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 4 of 15
BMiller63
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

Ahh good point Dennis, I noticed the R10 but assumed Inventor 2011 rather than R11.

For tlebird:

This may sort out the confusion on the version names:

Inventor 10 (Release 10)

Inventor 11 (Release 11)

Inventor 2008 (Release 12)

Inventor 2009 (Release 13)

Inventor 2010 (Release 14)

Inventor 2011 (Release 15)

Message 5 of 15
tlepird

Thanks for the response Dennis.  I am good friends with your sister Jean Kruse maybe you remember me. I think you got the wrong idea from my post. I am running Inventor Series V11 in Windows 7 - 32bit mode.  It was a bear to install but except for not being able to read in Inventor 10 created files everything has run OK so far. I have been able to create parts, save them and recall them back in for edit.  I have read everything I can find on the Internet  about migrating files from Inventor 10 to Inventor 11. I installed and run the Task Scheduler numerous times but it just freezes and does not convert anything. I also tried installing Inventor 11 in Windows XP Pro 32bit but the same problem occurs.  When I upgraded from Inventor 9 to Inventor 10 I was able to read and edit all of my part and assembly files created in the previous release without migrating them. I have noticed how ever that all of the documentation concerning migration of files  only talk about files within Vaults. Is it possible I will have to place all of my files in a vault before trying to migrate them?

Message 6 of 15
JDMather

@tlepird wrote:

Is it possible I will have to place all of my files in a vault before trying to migrate them?

No.  You should be able to open the files without issue.
As suggested earlier - attach an example file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 15
tlepird

Thanks for the responce. The release names are confusing. According to the retailer I purchased Inventor from, Inventor series 11 they sold me is the very latest release of Inventor with all of the bells and whisles. According to the the Autodesk web site I looked at Inventor series 11 is the latest release. Where can I find out for sure what all of the lastest release names, version numbers and release dates for Inventor products?

Message 8 of 15
JDMather

@tlepird wrote:

Thanks for the responce. The release names are confusing. According to the retailer I purchased Inventor from, Inventor series 11 they sold me is the very latest release of Inventor with all of the bells and whisles. According to the the Autodesk web site I looked at Inventor series 11 is the latest release. Where can I find out for sure what all of the lastest release names, version numbers and release dates for Inventor products?

No, no, no - as already indicated in this thread Inventor 11 is an ancient release.  You need to figure out what you are running and what the files you are trying to open were created in.  If you post a file here I can tell you what version it was created in.  Getting this information is not supposed to be like pulling teeth.

http://www.mcadforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=500

Where are you finding an Autodesk website that states v 11 is the latest release. What is the url.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 9 of 15
tlepird

Thanks for the info it cleared up a lot of confusion on my part. I did not know there was an Inventor 11 v11. I thought Inventor 11 was the latest release. Before purchasing the software I ask the retailer if it was the latest release with all of the bells and whistles and he said it was. Problem is, it was the latest release the retailer had available and it wasn't what I wanted so I will be asking for a refund. You live and learn.

One final problem I have with Inventor 2010. I have been using 2010 since January 2010 and it has been working pretty good until lately. All of a sudden it has slowed to a crawl while editing even small simple parts and takes forever to load or save. Any ideas what would cause this.  It began to slow down around the time I installed 2 new 500GB sata 2 drives to my system that  are set to 150 MB/S transfer rate. I have increase my ram memory to 4GB to compensate but it hasn't helped. I was previously using 1- 200GB IDE drive. I can't reinstall the IDE drive to see if the new drives are the problem because it took a dump on me and can't be recovered. All of my Inventor program files and data files are on just 1 drive. The other drive is used to periodically back up the main drive and I do not have any mapped network drives have also installed all service packs available for Inventor and SP3 for Windows XP Pro 32bit. Got any ideas where I go from here?

Message 10 of 15
tlepird
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

Thanks for the info. Please disregard my previous post. The problem has been solved. I did not know there was an Inventor 11 v11 version the was released prior to Inventor 2010, how confusing. The retailer who sold me the software said it was the latest release but it has turned out that it was the latest release he had for sale. I will be asking for a refund and will be more carful the next time. Thanks again for your help.

Message 11 of 15
JDMather

@tlepird wrote:

I will be asking for a refund and will be more carful the next time.

Good luck with that.  It doesn't sound to me like you are dealing with an authorized VAR.

EESignature

Message 12 of 15
blair

If it's slow in loading files, look at cleaning up your hard-drive. Clean all temp and cache directories, (ccleaner.com) works well for this. Defrag your HD will help with read/transfer times. Moving to a RAID0 with multiple hard-drives with help with transfer rates, but increases the change data loss do to a hard-drive failure (data is spread across multi HD, more drives increases chance of failure). Other versions of RAID are available, they will require more than two drives.

Always back-up your data daily.

Depending on your Anti-Virus software (if using), you might be able to exclude Inventor files from the scan.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 13 of 15
tlepird
in reply to: JDMather

I have already done all of the things you suggested which were the first things I did but it has not helped. My part and assembly files are small  (582KB) so I don't think I am running out of memory but my hard drive light goes on when ever I select any function when I am in Inventor. I don't believe it should be paging that much when I have plenty of RAM memory available. It acts as if something is set within the software to work off the disk drive instead of RAM memory but I don't know of any setting like that within Inventor.  Remember the system was running much faster for quit a while before it slowed down recently and the only thing that changed was the hard drives and the IDE interface changed to SATA.  I do not have Raid set up on the hard drives as yet. Currently  I am using  Western Digital's Acronis True Image backup software to back up my main drive. When I checked the drive status it was only 5% fragmented and currently has over 100GB of storage space available.

Message 14 of 15
blair

Possibly check all your components in your case. I have seen memory back out or other components work themselves loose.

Possibly a CPU fan has failed or CPU cooling is an issue. A dusting enviroment might be plugging air flow.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 15 of 15
Dennis_Jeffrey

The latest version is Inventor 2011. You can ONLY purchase from an Autodesk Authorized Partner.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report