Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-using Content Center Parts (re-size/replace from cc)

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Winks87
225 Views, 2 Replies

Re-using Content Center Parts (re-size/replace from cc)

Im having trouble wrapping my brain around the concept of having a universal network location for Content Center parts. 

1.) I have a 1/2" X 2" bolt that is used over and over again.

2.) II select a new 1/2 X 2" bolt from CC to add to a new assembly.  After placement, I decide it needs to be 2 1/2".

If Inventor automatically re-uses CC parts, how does this not change the existing 2" bolts used in previous assemblies?  Im just trying to understand how this works for my own piece of mind.  Does anyone have any issues with multi-user environments using the same Content Center folder on a network drive?  From what I read, this is the way to go for multiple users.

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Product Design Suite 2013

James Winkler
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jtylerbc
in reply to: Winks87

Your confusion comes from a misunderstanding of how the CC parts work.

When you place a CC part that you haven't used before, a new part file is generated and stored in the folder location defined by the application options / project file settings.

If it's a part you have used before, it reuses the part file from that folder, instead of placing a new one.  That is what is meant by them being "reused."

When you change sizes, it's not actually modifying the geometry of the part.  It's dropping the new sized part in the folder, and swapping the old one in your assembly for the new one.  The original size you used is still in the folder, it's just not in your assembly anymore.

Message 3 of 3
Winks87
in reply to: jtylerbc

Thanks, that's what I thought might be happening, just wanted to verify it.  I feel better now.

James Winkler

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report