Inventor General Discussion

Active Contributor
sjthielbar
Message 1 of 3 (139 Views)
Accepted Solution

Ramping a coil/helix

139 Views, 2 Replies
03-14-2014 12:48 PM

I'm using Inventor 2012, and I'm trying to model a coil/helix. I've run into a new coil which after two revolutions with a tight pitch (.0005" over the wire diameter which is .0185") I need to make the next 3 revolutions ramping from a .025" pitch to a .060" pitch.

Any ideas? I'm thinking that it won't be possible using the coiling feature alone since there are no options to accomodate this.

I think it is possible, but you are going to have to orientate your planes such that when the one coild stops (flush with a vertical plane) the other one picks up with the other pitch.

Here is an example of what I was talking about.

coil.jpg

What I did was create the first coil to your first specification, then the second was 1.5 turns at a pitch of .025 and the third was another 1.5 turns at .060 pitch.  I created a step file so you can at least have a model of it.  Because I have 2014 and you can't open the actual model file.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! :smileyvery-happy:

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

3D sketch wrap displacement curve around cylinder.  (in later versions there are additional options, like equation curves)

*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 2 of 3 (121 Views)

Re: Ramping a coil/helix

03-14-2014 02:08 PM in reply to: sjthielbar

I think it is possible, but you are going to have to orientate your planes such that when the one coild stops (flush with a vertical plane) the other one picks up with the other pitch.

Here is an example of what I was talking about.

coil.jpg

What I did was create the first coil to your first specification, then the second was 1.5 turns at a pitch of .025 and the third was another 1.5 turns at .060 pitch.  I created a step file so you can at least have a model of it.  Because I have 2014 and you can't open the actual model file.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! :smileyvery-happy:

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
Inventor Professional 2013
(Colossians 3:23-25)

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 3 of 3 (114 Views)

Re: Ramping a coil/helix

03-14-2014 02:22 PM in reply to: sjthielbar

3D sketch wrap displacement curve around cylinder.  (in later versions there are additional options, like equation curves)

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.