Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ramping a coil/helix

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
sjthielbar
320 Views, 2 Replies

Ramping a coil/helix

I'm using Inventor 2012, and I'm trying to model a coil/helix. I've run into a new coil which after two revolutions with a tight pitch (.0005" over the wire diameter which is .0185") I need to make the next 3 revolutions ramping from a .025" pitch to a .060" pitch.

Any ideas? I'm thinking that it won't be possible using the coiling feature alone since there are no options to accomodate this.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Cadmanto
in reply to: sjthielbar

I think it is possible, but you are going to have to orientate your planes such that when the one coild stops (flush with a vertical plane) the other one picks up with the other pitch.

Here is an example of what I was talking about.

coil.jpg

What I did was create the first coil to your first specification, then the second was 1.5 turns at a pitch of .025 and the third was another 1.5 turns at .060 pitch.  I created a step file so you can at least have a model of it.  Because I have 2014 and you can't open the actual model file.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: sjthielbar

3D sketch wrap displacement curve around cylinder.  (in later versions there are additional options, like equation curves)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report