Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R11 WILL BE THE END OF MY JOB!!!

38 REPLIES 38
Message 1 of 39
Anonymous
689 Views, 38 Replies

R11 WILL BE THE END OF MY JOB!!!

CRASHES, FREEZES, TAKES TEN MINUTES TO PUT A SIMPLE CONSTAINT IN, WHAT A PILE OF CRAP.
38 REPLIES 38
Message 21 of 39
Tom97
in reply to: Anonymous

Judging by all the posts on crashes elsewhere the newer IV sounds like a real POS. I think I'll stick with V8 a while longer ;).
Message 22 of 39
Anonymous

If you do that then we'll all call you a dinosaur. 😉

wrote in message news:5200400@discussion.autodesk.com...
Judging by all the posts on crashes elsewhere the newer IV sounds like a
real POS. I think I'll stick with V8 a while longer ;).
Message 23 of 39
MechMan_

I didn't fully understand all of your comments but I'll reply to a couple.

>In itself that fact, that, at one user stable IV11, and at another is not present, speaks not in favor of IV11.<
I don't fully agree. There are too many other factors that make a computer system run to place all the blame on IV.

>Probably, that to release of next version IV, Autodesk it is necessary to put a maximum of efforts to increase of reliability of work and stability of this program.<
I agree but it's near impossible to get software that is this complex to be perfect the first time around. Adesk did do a lot of beta testing on IV11. They also had a year to get it right since IV10 which is why when IV11 SP0 turned out so buggy was VERY disappointed.

>However, I with full confidence ascertain - IV10 was more stable.<
At least IV10 SP3. P-)
Message 24 of 39
vsk2002

I am sorry. Yesterday I have inattentively seen new themes of a forum. And consequently, not on a theme has made the post.
The author who has opened this theme and another, similar under the maintenance, probably to understand it is possible. However, I do not support its excessive emotions and fieriness concerning to my favorite working program...
I consider Autodesk Inventor as the best for today working system for the designer. Personally I worked in IV4, 5, 6, 7... 11, and at me never was even ideas to pass to other system.
I can complain of something, I can something be dissatisfied - but it not an occasion to throw such phrases with which the author of this theme operates.
Development of IV last years reminds revolutionary break!!! (v.9, v.10, v.11- Especially!). I also took part in beta testing IV11. Saw, how many problems have been lifted on this discussion. And on each question always was constructive discussion with active participation of responsible representatives of the developer IV.
Such plenty of the lifted serious questions means huge forthcoming work for Autodesk on completion and perfection of the Inventor.
Message 25 of 39
xavierl

Lets employ some logic here.
If IV11 is crashing on one pc and running perfect on another, the the only difference is the hardware and maybe other pieces of s/w that are causing problems.

My pc supplier tells me his opinion is that 95% of crashes are related to BAD RAM.

My pc uses high quality ram and I never crash.

When people give their pc specs they should include the manufacturer of every piece(ie processor,m/b,ram,grahpics etc.)

and before you do anything. open the pc box, unplug everything, replug it and maybe you will be ok.

regards
Frans X Liebenberg
Message 26 of 39
designengineer

I'm confused, is aliron the same person as Drool?
Anyway...
Frans is bang on here.
Check your hardware with the dell diag programs.
But dont just rely on this if nothing shows. I had a dell 380 of which the heat sync wasnt screwed down (the casing was missing a nutsert (or thread) properly and the processor was over heating.
After the hardware checks (im sure there is something wrong there) run through some of the suggestions above.

I have iv11 (no sp) at home and NEVER had a crash yet!
The most stable (for me) release yet! (Nice one AD, thanks!)
Message 27 of 39
Anonymous

>>open the pc box

dont swear.. my IT boys would go ape

some users may have access to hardware but most do not. some places are really really locked down. In an old role on a government navy base to move a computer from one desk to the desk next to it, (aprox 3ft), without having to change any wires, the company had on site contractors that charged £120. same contractors also charged £40 for a new standard wheel mouse.

ah well its only our money there wasting...

back to the point, memory??? really??? i thought it was pretty much all the same, its solid state so i thought if it worked it worked?
Message 28 of 39
Drool

Nope, aliron and I are two different people. I was just trying to use his thread thinking people with experience crashing IV11 would be inherently drawn to read his thread. I have since uninstalled and reinstalled all the software and, holding my breath, things do seem to be running much smoother.

For others, some notes I've found
1. The driver that was current and certified for my specific graphics driver when we installed IV11 after the sp1 came out, was no longer certified when I went back and checked yesterday. So that is apparently a good one to keep tabs on while/if you are still experiencing problems.
2. During my initial install I installed parts seperately, ie iv11, vault client, mdt, etc. That seemed to cause certain problems and when i installed them all together on a clean install things seemed to work better.
3. I made sure to have my AV software disabled during the install. This one was just a mistake in the first place, and i'm still not clear on what it actually causes to go wrong,.

The last thing that I would ask the rest of you is if anyone knows where to turn off 'Vertical Sync' that is apparently under my openGL settings that I can't seem to find. I read under autodesks certified driver page for my graphics driver that turning this off was advisable.

Dan
Message 29 of 39
donovan_cox

So,

Allow me to give your I.T. guys heart palpitations.

I frequently go onsite to customers, disable the AV, and then get on the internet, to download files and then install executables.

Now once they've recovered it's usually to autodesk.com, microsoft.com and the manufacturers of the video cards.
Message 30 of 39
donovan_cox

Well, the antivirus job is to keep executables from installing files and modifying files under your windows directory, and installing to and modifying your windows registry,

The problem is your AV can't tell the difference between an install of Inventor and say the latest nasty floating around on the internet pretending to be something else.

So the antivirus sees the inventor install start to make a change, and blocks, or interrupts that change somehow, while not completely stopping the installation process itself.

Because it only staops a few things instead of the complete install, you finish the installation (or so you think).

then when you run inventor you fly along until the moment you cause it to reach for the missing or incomplete module, at which point it crashes, hangs or throws a fit.
Message 31 of 39
Tom97

Since no one else has offered a suggestion yet. you could try doing this.

Right click on your desktop and go to properties.

In that menu go to the settings tab and click on the advanced button and then bring up your video card specific tab.

Mine is a nvidia based and the v-sync is set in 3d profiles of which one is chosen to be the active one. (ie Inventor profile).

I think the ATI menu is more globalized than that however.
Message 32 of 39
Anonymous

See attached image.

Mike

wrote in message news:5201249@discussion.autodesk.com...

The last thing that I would ask the rest of you is if anyone knows where to
turn off 'Vertical Sync' that is apparently under my openGL settings that I
can't seem to find. I read under autodesks certified driver page for my
graphics driver that turning this off was advisable.

Dan
Message 33 of 39
Phil PDX

ditto on this

perspective here. I think Adesk has done a spiffy job of surfing the latest hardware and software trends and standards!

it's a fluid environment (thank goodness or we'd all still be on TRS80's) this computer stuff.

I am amazed Inventor can connect so much of my computer to such productive effect. Does any other mainsteam type of software push the new-tech envelope so well?
Message 34 of 39
Anonymous

Yep, and make sure there is heatsink compound between the processor and
heatsink.
... and blow out all that dust and fluff at least once a year.

Derek

-----------
wrote in message news:5200952@discussion.autodesk.com...
Anyway...
Frans is bang on here.
But dont just rely on this if nothing shows. I had a dell 380 of which the
heat sync wasnt screwed down (the casing was missing a nutsert (or thread)
properly and the processor was over heating.
After the hardware checks (im sure there is something wrong there) run
through some of the suggestions above.

Message 35 of 39
Anonymous

Not only that there is compound there but that it's not old. I have to re-do
the compound between my water block(water cooled) and the processor about
every 9 months or so (if not I get spontaneous re-boots)...... gotta love
em.

"Derek Burns" wrote in message
news:5201766@discussion.autodesk.com...
Yep, and make sure there is heatsink compound between the processor and
heatsink.
... and blow out all that dust and fluff at least once a year.

Derek

-----------
wrote in message news:5200952@discussion.autodesk.com...
Anyway...
Frans is bang on here.
But dont just rely on this if nothing shows. I had a dell 380 of which the
heat sync wasnt screwed down (the casing was missing a nutsert (or thread)
properly and the processor was over heating.
After the hardware checks (im sure there is something wrong there) run
through some of the suggestions above.

Message 36 of 39
xavierl

its solid state so i thought if it worked it worked?

and if one stick out of 4 ram units is dicey then the whole pc slows down to match it.

try any supplier. good ram can cost 5 times as much as cheap bad stuff. This is the most important part of your pc, so going cheap here is not clever.

regards
Frans X Liebenberg
Message 37 of 39
Anonymous

I have more problems with MS Outlook in one day than I do with IV11 or
IV11sp1 in a week. ECC memory and SCSI drives and certified workstations do
keep ones sanity. You pay a little more up front, but it didn't look like
Kurt Russel in the computer sales department. No that's not yellow paint,
that's just heat sink conductivity material.
wrote in message news:5202138@discussion.autodesk.com...
its solid state so i thought if it worked it worked?

and if one stick out of 4 ram units is dicey then the whole pc slows down to
match it.

try any supplier. good ram can cost 5 times as much as cheap bad stuff. This
is the most important part of your pc, so going cheap here is not clever.

regards
Frans X Liebenberg
Message 38 of 39
Anonymous

Probably beyond iDesk capabilities or maybe they'd rather keep users in the dark
but some third party developer should compile mem test, graphics test, network
test routines that will indicate bad hardware, bottlenecks, etc. as may be
applicable to operating IV. Add an IV installation verification routine to run
periodically and tell you when IV has hosed the registry and you'll be in
business.

As it is you might look for generic stress test applications and run them.
Maybe iDesk could at least recommend some.

wrote in message news:5199711@discussion.autodesk.com...
CRASHES, FREEZES, TAKES TEN MINUTES TO PUT A SIMPLE CONSTAINT IN, WHAT A PILE OF
CRAP.
Message 39 of 39
xavierl

ibm who sells catia, try to force you to buy an expensive workstation built by them. they install everything and you are not allowed to touch the thing.

no one likes bad publicity and this move will reduce it to the minimum.

even high end hardware is still costing less than the price of inventor. the extra hardware cost will be made up within a month if the thing goes from lots of crashing to no crashing.

Frans X Liebenberg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report