Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"[WARNING] The feature as specified did not change the number of faces..."

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
tr12311
4509 Views, 25 Replies

"[WARNING] The feature as specified did not change the number of faces..."

Inventor 9 Gives this warning after creating a patterned hole feature in the flange of a sheet metal part. I tried editing the depth of this hole feature but didn't help.
Removing and re-doing holes didn't help either.

What to do?

Here's the complete warning text about two different hole features with same problem.

[WARNING] Edit Hole Feature: problems encountered while executing this command. [r:\core\Fw\Main\FWxApp.cpp, line 3593]
[WARNING] IV-0003.ipt: Warnings occurred during update [r:\core\Rd\Main\Component.cpp, line 522]
[WARNING] Hole5: Problems occurred while building this Hole [r:\core\Rd\Main\Feature.cpp, line 229]
[WARNING] The feature as specified did not change the number of faces (and may not have affected the part). Accept the feature that resulted, or use Edit Sketch or Edit Feature to change the feature definition. [r:\core\rd\rddiagnoses.h, line 957]
[WARNING] Hole7: Problems occurred while building this Hole [r:\core\Rd\Main\Feature.cpp, line 229]
[WARNING] The feature as specified did not change the number of faces (and may not have affected the part). Accept the feature that resulted, or use Edit Sketch or Edit Feature to change the feature definition. [r:\core\rd\rddiagnoses.h, line 957]
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
JDMather
in reply to: tr12311

Can you zip and post the file or recreate the same problem in a new file?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 26
jejp

I have the same problem!!!

Did you ever manage to resolve this?

JP
Message 4 of 26
KristinaVogt5

This message shows up generally when your added feature didn't change the part.

I can only guess what your part looks like, but for holes here are the two things to check...

Check if your hole center is on the part.
Check if the hole cut direction in cutting into the part.

If this doesn't help, maybe post a picture of you problem and what version of IV you are using.
Message 5 of 26
Anonymous

Like Vogt said, if the feature didn't change anything then this error message comes up. Example: You have a hole in a block. Now you create another hole of same size at the same hole center point on the block then you get the error message. This also happens in other situations too. Every new feature should result in a change in the model. If it dosen't change then we put this message.

1. Open the part
2. Move EOP above Hole5
3. Is Hole5's resulting shape already there? Meaning has the hole been already cut through another feature.
4. The same thing might be happening for Hole7
If the hole5's resulting shape is not already there and you think the software is complaining then we need to log an issue.

Thanks

shekar
Message 6 of 26
rblawson

You need to use the "adjust" option in the compute dialog in the feature pattern window.

"Identical" tries to match the shape of the feature.

"Adjust" tries to match the intent of the feature.

JD mather discusses the difference in his most excellent tips .pdf that's here:

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2006/MA13-3%20Mather.pdf
Message 7 of 26
nstalker
in reply to: rblawson

I ran into this error and fixed it by changing my extrusion to be a new solid.

Message 8 of 26
JDMather
in reply to: nstalker

@nstalker wrote:

I ran into this error and fixed it by changing my extrusion to be a new solid.

Is that really really the solution? Depends!
Attach your file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 9 of 26
mrattray
in reply to: nstalker

Sounds like your doing too much work to me...
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 26
esztergaal90

Hi,

I'm facing this problem when I try to extrude some faces. I have a sketch, and an offset of this sketch. I made thiskind of 3D makette a lot of times (cookie cutter), and they works. But this time I can't extrude the offset. I tried to extrude it as a new solid, in that way it works, but then I can't add a good fillet to the meeting point/line of two solid faces.

What can cause this problem, and what can I do to avoid it?

Thank you very much.

" The feature as specified did not change the number of faces (and may not have affected the part). Accept the feature that resulted, or use Edit Sketch or Edit Feature to change the feature definition."

Message 11 of 26
SBix26
in reply to: esztergaal90

Attach the part file (may have to zip it if forum is still not accepting .ipts) and tell us what version of Inventor you're using.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2020.1.1 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 12 of 26
esztergaal90
in reply to: SBix26

Sorry, it' inventor professional 2016

Extrusion25 works, but the others are just as new solids. On the borderline of extrusion 25 and 29 I can't make a normal fillet.

Thank you 🙂

Message 13 of 26
JDMather

Your file works fine for me, but if you want to use as is, do a Combine to combine all of the solid bodies into one before doing the Fillets.

You should install the Updates for 2016 while they are still available.

EESignature

Message 14 of 26
esztergaal90

Ohhh my.... I guess I've found the problem. In my other sketches I always draw on the xy plane, and this I used another plane. I guess because of this was the error that not changing the number of faces...

This was one of my first sketch, and now when I wanted to update it with my new observations, I've found this error.

So when the problem occurs, and I use the new solid extrude, then the fillet, I get the the "wrong" fillet, but without the problem, I can use the extrude, then fillet, and I get the good fillet.

Message 15 of 26
esztergaal90
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you very much. Yes, really, it didn't come to mind to combine them. And thanks for tip about the updates, I will look at it. 🙂

Message 16 of 26
john2jairo
in reply to: JDMather

Hi!

I seem to be experiencing the same problem trying to revolve a cut and I don't know what I've done wrong.

I have attached the file to this message if you could help It would be great.

I use inventor professional 2020

Thank you 

Message 17 of 26
john2jairo

Hi!

I seem to have the same problem trying to revolve cut but won't let me.

I use inventor professional 2020

Could you help me, please?

Thank you

Attachment file below..

Message 18 of 26
SBix26
in reply to: john2jairo

I didn't have any difficulty with the revolve cut of Sketch17.  Can you make a Screencast of your attempt so we can figure out what went wrong?

Revolve Cut Problem.png

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2020.2 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 19 of 26
john2jairo

Thank you sir,

Your right there wasn't much of an issue, I fixed it by selecting two profiles around one axis.

The profile I should have selected was the inner surface and the outer sketch lines for it to work in this case.

Message 20 of 26
SBix26
in reply to: john2jairo

The easiest fix would have been to set the projected top edge as construction, which would eliminate it from participation in profile searching.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2020.2 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report