Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Unable to update assembly snapshot" after Replace Model Reference

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
karthur1
1236 Views, 9 Replies

"Unable to update assembly snapshot" after Replace Model Reference

When I open an idw, I get the message "Unable to update assembly snapshot".  Now any change that I make to the assembly is not shown on the idw.

This drawing was made by doing a "Save Copy As" on a similar iam and idw.  Then the "Replace Model Reference" was used to change out the model in the idw.  The original idw that this was copied from works fine and shows no problems at all.

I have included the problem idw here in a zip.  Open the G4222-108R.idw to see the message.

How do I clear this so my idw will update correctly?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
johnsonshiue
in reply to: karthur1

Kirk,

This seems to be a known issue, which got fixed in R2012 SP1. But, I need to confirm the behavior first. Could you try the following and see if it helps?

Open the replacing assembly (the new one coming in) in its own window.

Activate LOD:Master.

Save and close.

Try replacing the model reference in Drawing.

Please let me know what you find.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 10
karthur1
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Johnson,

I was not able to solve my issue using your workflow... The error still persists.  You wanted me to change to the Master LOD and save the iam.  The Master LOD was already selected and activate was greyed out, so I chagned to the "All components Supperssed" first, then changed to the Master, then saved/closed the iam.

Then I tried the replace model ref and I still get the same error.

Heres a video of what I am doing. http://screencast.com/t/NrHXf12N

Thanks,

Message 4 of 10
SteveMDennis

I had asked Johnson to get involved because when I opened you IDW in my internal build it opens without any complaints what so ever and if I modify the assembly (deleted an occurrence) it works and the IDW updates...

Trying to figure out if this is 2011 related or not...

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 10
karthur1
in reply to: SteveMDennis

Steve,

The workflow in my original post is not "exactly" correct.  If I use the "Replace Model Ref" command, and select the new iam, I am given the "unable to update assy snapshot" error.  The only option that I have is "Cancel" to close the dialog and the model is not replaced.

The way that I got this model into the copied idw, was to delete the referenced iam (-104R in this case), then when the Resolve Link dialog came up, I pointed it to the new -108R.iam file. Saved and closed the idw.  Now if I open the -108R.idw, I see the error.

Probably really doesnt matter... but it might... depends on what you are testing.

Thanks

Message 6 of 10
SteveMDennis

OK I was just opening the IDW you posted. Let me play with the replace ref workflow and get back to you.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 10
SteveMDennis

Just realized, your original post doesn't have another assembly in it... it only has one assembly and one drawing of that assembly. Can you supply me with all the data and steps needed to reproduce the "unable to update" error?  That is an error message I don't expect users to see very often if at all...

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 10
karthur1

I get the error when I open the -108R.idw

Here are the original files.  Here is the workflow to see the error msg.

1. Open the G4222-104R.idw.

2. Replace Model Ref command and pick the -104R.iam

3. Replace the -104R.iam with the -108R.iam

This is when I get the error.

Message 9 of 10
SteveMDennis

OK In my internal build I do not get any error and it looks like the model replace did succeed.

I was then able to save a copy of the IDW and reopen it again without error.

I will have Johnson try to narrow down where this got fixed.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 10
johnsonshiue

Kirk,

This behavior seems to be specific to the files on R2011 Subscription Advantage Pack. After a few trial-and-errors, I am able to find a least painful workaround to avoid the error. Here is what I do.

Open the drawing -> Edit the base view -> Model State -> set it to Assembly -> OK.

Then replace model reference should work after that.

The error is not normal but I cannot seem to identify the source leading to the error. It seems like the replacing assembly is in a state that the Drawing does not recognize. As a result, the command rejects the replacement request. I cannot reproduce the behavior from scrach on R2011 and R2012.

Please take a look and see if you can avoid the error by using the above workflow.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report