Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Select other" function is not working or turned off

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
mikereff
1472 Views, 7 Replies

"Select other" function is not working or turned off

I can't get the select other function to work.  When doing a measurement, if I right click on an item, then click "select other", nothing happens.  This also is the case when applying constraints. In application options, the select other timer is set to 2.0 sec., it is not set to off.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
HarryP108
in reply to: mikereff

That has bugged me for some time as well. Do not see the point in having the option if it is "dead". I come across it all the time with 2 wall sheets beside one another (common line). 

I always get told to turn visibility of one off then do what you need to - then turn visibility back on. Grrr.

This sounds like it needs to go straight to trumpy81's thread below...

Regards.

Inventor Professional.
Windows 10.
Message 3 of 8
trumpy81
in reply to: HarryP108

I don't know for sure, but are you guys waiting for 2 seconds WITHOUT moving the mouse?

Any mouse movement while waiting will cancel the request for it to show up.

Try setting the 'select other delay (sec)' to 1 sec and see if it appears.

What versions are you using guys?

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 4 of 8
mikereff

Yes, obviously I've waited the 2 seconds. That doesn't matter though, because when you right click and select "select other", the menu should pop up immediately.

Message 5 of 8
karthur1

What Inventor version are u using?  Does it do this on every part or just some?  If you are in the measure command and right click on an edge, then pick select other, you should get a left and right arrow and a center button. You dont have to pick the arrows to move through the selections, you can use your mouse wheel and the different edges, faces or points will highlight as you go thru them.

In pre-2013, you dont really get a menu when you "select other". 2013 has a select other menu that drops down and you pick what you want (edge, face, vertex... etc).

Message 6 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: karthur1

I have noticed on occasion that the new select other tool will not be displayed no matter what you do.. Simply closing the file and even restarting Inventor will/should make it work again (it has everytime its happened to me..roughly 10 times).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 8
SBix26
in reply to: mcgyvr

I have also experienced this, and closing/reopening Inventor takes care of it.  When this happens I also have no right-click menu/marking menu.

Message 8 of 8
jis.augustin

A bit strange......

I had inventor on my second screen and issues with select other function. As soon as inventor changed back onto main screen and it is sorted.

regards

Jis Augustin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report