Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Seam" displaying in lofted feature

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
markc-uk
445 Views, 3 Replies

"Seam" displaying in lofted feature

All,

I've created a simple loft using a sketched circle and a fixed workpoint. The loft feature is a loft to a point, with a tangent condition set at the workpoint.

I'm looking for a nice smooth 'button' like feature. However, as you'll see in the screenshot there is an annoying 'seam' or 'join line' running from a point on the circular base to the workpoint.

The 'seam' does not display when the loft feature is set to "loft to point" condition.

Can anyone suggest why this is displayed and am I able to get rid of it?

Thankyou in advance,

MarkC

I'm using Inventor Professional 2012 64 bit

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
markc-uk
in reply to: markc-uk

Here is the part file

Message 3 of 4
jakefowler
in reply to: markc-uk

Hi Mark,

Thanks for posting this issue! Unfortunately, this edge (which we officially refer to as a 'prop edge') is inherent in the way we define periodic Loft faces (i.e. Loft faces that 'loop back' on themselves), and therefore I don't think there's a neat trick to zap this edge from your current model.

However, for more standard surface shapes (such as spheres and torii), we can usually avoid making prop edges. And since the cross-sectional shape of your model is not far from being an arc, would it be satisfactory to simply Revolve an arc-shaped profile? This will give you a spherical surface, and therefore we can create the shape without introducing a prop edge (see attached IPT).

Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.

Many thanks!

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 4 of 4
markc-uk
in reply to: jakefowler

Jake, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Revolve works for me; I was purely experimenting with the Loft to point (with tangency) function to see what it could do.

Thanks for the explanation regards the 'prop edge'.

MarkC

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report