Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
sam_m
Message 1 of 4 (320 Views)

"Move Face" doesn't work parametrically (2012) - bug?

320 Views, 3 Replies
12-02-2011 03:01 AM

I think there's a bug/issue with "move face" and it not working the way I'm expecting...  I don't think you can edit the feature in the way you can with other commands - basically it forgets its own history but doesn't roll-back the part.

eg:

1) new part - draw a square 10x10

2) extrude 10 to form a cube 10x10x10

3) Move Face and click on the top - add 1 to the z axis

4) measure the side and it's 11, correct.

but, now you realise you really wanted to move it 2 units, so

5) edit the move face feature (notice the previous +1 in z axis isn't listed, so you assume it's back to zero - so write a 2 in the z axis)

6) measure the side and it's 13 - wtf?!?

it's not actually rolled the part back to the start of the move-face command, but each "edit" to the feature is actually an addition to the previous result.  Surely this is wrong?

Side note - the "Show Dimensions" option doesn't work either for move face - possibly linked to the above bug?  if it's not actually recording each dimension then there's obviously nothing to show (if this is as design then why allow the "show dimensions" option?).

----------
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
but please understand that the solution may not be the answer you're wanting to hear...

If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love :smileyvery-happy:

Lithium - helping nntp users with mania, depression and headaches
Product Support
alessandro.gasso
Message 2 of 4 (313 Views)

Re: "Move Face" doesn't work parametrically (2012) - bug?

12-02-2011 05:39 AM in reply to: sam_m

The Free Move option of the Move Face command is non-parametric, as written in the help as well.

Help.png

For having the parametric behavior and the Show Dimensions working option, try to use the Direction and Distance option.

I hope it helps.

Kind regards,

Alessandro

Alessandro Gasso
Product Support Technical Lead
MFG - Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.
Employee
BryanKelley
Message 3 of 4 (292 Views)

12-02-2011 02:17 PM in reply to: sam_m

Hi Sam,

Yes, we added this capability back in Inventor 2011.  You can still use the Direction and Distance or the Points and Plane (Planar Move) as in previous releases.

Thanks,
Bryan

Sr. Software QA Engineer
DLS – Mechanical Design
*Expert Elite*
sam_m
Message 4 of 4 (275 Views)

12-05-2011 01:09 AM in reply to: BryanKelley

Cheers for the reply guys - yeah, I was using Free Move and swapping to directional gave the history/parametric-control to the command, my bad.

Ok, it's mentioned in the help file that Free Move doesn't behave parametrically, but I must applaud whoever decided that the default option for any command in a parametric modeller isn't parametric (and there isn't a warning in the dialog box) when other options are... 

----------
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
but please understand that the solution may not be the answer you're wanting to hear...

If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love :smileyvery-happy:

Lithium - helping nntp users with mania, depression and headaches
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.