Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Layout constraint" tool - missing in 2014

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
pcrawley
1565 Views, 19 Replies

"Layout constraint" tool - missing in 2014

Does anyone know where the "Layout constraint" options have gone in Inventor 2014?

Last seen in Inventor 2013 on the right-click menu of a part created throught the "Make components" workflow, this invaluable tool has been abducted.  Deos anyone know its whereabouts - or why it was taken away? 

Progress.jpg

(Also noticed the "Select Parents" may have gone the same way)

Peter

Peter
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
blair
in reply to: pcrawley

If it's on the "Marking Tool Menu", then it won't be on the drop-down menu. Or check the "Manage" tool box.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 20
rdyson

I was unaware of 'Layout Constraint' but judging by their relative positions, I'd guess it's now 'Show Relationshops', especially since Adisk has "renamed" Constraints to Relationships.

PDSU 2016
Message 4 of 20
blair

I think you are now looking for "Relationships", new name - new feature 

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 20
pcrawley
in reply to: blair

Relationships... No.  Thanks for the suggestions though.  

Layout constraints are a special feature that only become visible when you use the "Make Components" workflow from a bunch of sketch blocks.  If you don't know (or haven used) the workflow, then you won't have seen these options on the right-click menu.

Sadly, without these functions, the brilliant workflow becomes a usless workflow.  Previously (2013 and earlier), you could create sketch blocks to simulate say a linkage of some sort.  Check out it's movement etc - then turn each block into a part (Make Components).  The parts are automatically inserted in an assembly, and their relative positions (relationships/constraint) are generated from the original sketch-blocks.  Really cool - really easy - until you can't control the Layout Constraints any more from the assembly.

So I'm still looking...  Anyone else tried this in 2014?  They must be in there somewhere.  Frustrating!

P

Peter
Message 6 of 20
ChrisMitchell01

Hi Peter,

Thanks for bringing this up - a fix is being investigated for inclusion in 2014 Update2.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 20
pcrawley
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

Thanks Chris.  On the case as usual.  You seem to have mastered the art of being omnipresent.  

Peter
Message 8 of 20
AnnaNowak_MuM

In my Inventor 2015 Layout Tools are missing again.

SP2 for 2014 fixed this bug, I agree. Unfortunately 2015 with SP2 (and without is as well, I checked that) doesn't show Layout context tools in assembly created from layout sketch.

What a pity.

Message 9 of 20

It is indeed a pity - this should be addressed in SP1, in mid-September.

-Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 20

@ChrisMitchell01,

The "Layout Constraint" tool is not available in 2019 after using Make Components.

I know you can set the 'Document Settings' option before using Make Components.

Has the ability to edit afterwards been removed? I could not find anything in "What's New" help files regarding a change - of course I could have missed it.

Here is the 2018 Help link that explains how to edit after making components:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018...

Kind regards,

Jerry

Message 11 of 20

Hi Jerry,

It seems to be Ok for me in 2019.2:

LayoutConstraint-2019.2.png

Is this what you refer to ? Are you working in the layout assembly? It should be there after you select a part & right click. What 2019 version do you have ? Any context menu customization in place ?

Thanks

Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 20

Hi! In the Make Components dialog, you will need to check "Create equivalent assembly constraint" option to generate Layout constraints. After that, if you right-click on a part with such constraint in the browser, you will get the additional Layout constraint context menu items. For the ones do not have the Layout constraints, the context menu items will not appear.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 20
JBerns

Correct, 'Layout Constraint' tool is not available after I make components.

2018-11-28_9-38-05.png

• Using 2019.2
  • No context menu customization has been applied
  • Created a multi-body part with multiple solids.
  • In the multi-body part, Document Settings > Modeling | Make Components Dialog Options:
    • Layout controls position
    • Create equivalent assembly constraints

Be advised, I am using only sketches on multiple planes - no sketch blocks.

I tried all three MCD options for 'Position defaults', but neither results in the "Layout Constraint" tool to be available in the assembly browser when right-clicking a part. Grounded status makes no difference either.

I have attached a simple multi-body part I have used while resolving this issue. If the menu option is available for others, there must be a setting or action in my workflow that suppresses the context menu option.

Thanks, all, for your time and attention. I look forward to your replies.

Kind regards,

Jerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAD Administrator
Using Inventor 2022
Autodesk Certified Instructor
Autodesk Inventor 2020 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2017 Certified Professional
Message 14 of 20
JBerns
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue,

I don't recall having to use sketch blocks and constraints between blocks in earlier Inventor versions in order to get the assembly browser menu option to control layout position. Perhaps my recollection is clouded.

If that is the case, what constraints are required or supported between sketch blocks that will have an equivalent assembly constraint created?

Could you provide a multi-body part that works for you to produce the "Layout Constraint" menu option in the assembly? I can test on my system to determine if it produces the menu option for me. That should help with the diagnosis.

Thanks,

Jerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAD Administrator
Using Inventor 2022
Message 15 of 20
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: JBerns

Jerry,

Here's a very simple example of a "Make Layout" which uses sketch blocks as the input. Open Blocks.iam & then select one of the parts - Can you see the required context menu entries using this ?

Thanks

Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 16 of 20
JBerns

@ChrisMitchell01,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, the "Layout Constraint" menu option is available with your assembly.

That explains the issue. I was confusing sketch blocks with solid bodies.

If you Make Components from sketch blocks, the "Layout Constraint" option is available.

If you Make Components from solid bodies, the "Layout Constraint" option is not available. 

Do you agree with those statements?

It has been a while, but I thought the LC option was available with components made from either blocks or bodies.

My apologies for the confusion, but this has helped to confirm the workflow. Thanks again, Chris.

Kind regards,

Jerry

CAD Administrator
Using Inventor 2022
Message 17 of 20
ChrisMitchell01

Yes, I seem to recall that this is sketch block specific.

-Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 18 of 20
JBerns

Ackn. Thanks, Chris.

Regards, 

Jerry

CAD Administrator
Using Inventor 2022
Message 19 of 20
johnsonshiue

Hi Jerry,

Yes, Chris is right. The Layout constraints are specific to sketch blocks. Essentially, it tries to convert sketch constraints to equivalent assembly constraints logically. There are limitations. Not all sketch constraints are converted. Here is a Help page showing a table of convertable sketch constraints.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018...

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 20 of 20
JBerns
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Interesting workflow discovery this morning. We know we cannot select sketch blocks AND solid bodies at the same time when using the Make Components command.

However, you can:

1. Create a master part comprised of sketch blocks and solid bodies.
  2. Use Make Components, select the sketch blocks, insert into a new assembly.
  3. Return to master part.
  4. Use Make Components, select the solid bodies, insert into existing assembly created above.

Now you can control the layout position of the sketch blocks independently of the grounded parts (solid bodies).

By making the assembly from the sketch blocks first, the master part is inserted into the assembly first. This makes it easier to edit the master part. Be sure to change BOM Structure setting for the master part (E.g. Phantom). 

I'll have to explore the potential of this workflow.

Regards,

Jerry

CAD Administrator
Using Inventor 2022

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report